Android or Apple

I like it just fine.

I'll pick android devices every day over iOS devices though.

AfroLH said:
Android because I'm not a child.

Wonderful that you feel that way, but it's silly to imply anyone using an iOS device is a child or likes to be treated as one. Especially considering quite a few major US carriers block sideloading from android devices, requiring you to root your device anyway.

If I'm misunderstanding you and you just meant that you personally have an issue with using a more closed OS, then ignore this post.

iOS bothers me on a fundamental level. Since when was a closed, single-source ecosystem considered beneficial or even acceptable?

At the risk of offending people, I'm just going to go out and say it. iOS is an OS for stupid people, or at least lazy people. It has a closed app ecosystem that provides quality control so you don't have to do it yourself. It offers very little in the way of customization. Multitasking is a a little more extant now, but it's still a joke. They spent so much time making it look pretty that the underlying OS is a complete and utter cluster*Can'tSayThisOnTV*.

I don't understand this obsession with 'smoothness' either. My Galaxy S2 (Thebyani 4.3 ICS, Siyahkernel ICS) would probably be considered jerky as Heck by today's standards, but it's fine for me. I can barely tell the difference between my dad's Iconia A100 (4.0.3 ICS) and my mom's Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1 Jellybean), but my dad says it's smoother.

As for complexity, I found Android quite simple really. Then again, I'm a competent PC user. If you didn't have trouble with using computers, you'll probably make the transition to Android fine. If you had trouble using computers, maybe you should consider getting some computer classes.

My impression of iOS is like one of those skinny models in a magazine- smooth, pretty, and with nothing below the surface. I suspect in the future iOS will be relegated to the same status (versus Android) as Mac OS X is to Windows- an alternative, proprietary OS for a few certain groups of people, most with more money than sense.

They've already lost the smartphone lead, and only in North America is the iPhone really popular. I think it's starting to happen with tablets now, and I can name one crucial reason- price.

Zero said:
AfroLH said:
Android because I'm not a child.

Wonderful that you feel that way, but it's silly to imply anyone using an iOS device is a child or likes to be treated as one. Especially considering quite a few major US carriers block sideloading from android devices, requiring you to root your device anyway.

If I'm misunderstanding you and you just meant that you personally have an issue with using a more closed OS, then ignore this post.

It's more like I don't like being treated like a child when it comes to operating systems.
Like, I know what I'm doing, don't patronize me, OS.

XCVG said:
At the risk of offending people, I'm just going to go out and say it. iOS is an OS for stupid people, or at least lazy people.
No, making ridiculous generalizations like that is for stupid people, or at least people who fail to construct valid arguments. I gave valid reasons why for my personal needs I like using both, if you have different needs than me, that's great, but if those differences cause you to classify me as "stupid" in your mind, then you're just being unnecessarily judgmental.

XCVG said:
It has a closed app ecosystem that provides quality control so you don't have to do it yourself. It offers very little in the way of customization. Multitasking is a a little more extant now, but it's still a joke. They spent so much time making it look pretty that the underlying OS is a complete and utter cluster*Can'tSayThisOnTV*.
These complaints can mostly be bypassed by jailbreaking, and before you say you shouldn't have to do that, that's true, but it's really the same exact thing as having to root your phone to re-add side loading because your carrier removed the feature, a regular occurrence nowadays. Also, don't forget that until fairly recently every app for android basically ran in a VM and was written in Java of all things. I'm sorry, but that is a flax OS design decision, and at least Google realized that. Plus, if you own an S2 of all things I don't know why you're talking about the "pretty" UI when Touchwiz is basically a bad clone of iOS. Yeah, you can install a ROM without Touchwiz, but you can customize the iOS UI as well.

XCVG said:
I don't understand this obsession with 'smoothness' either. My Galaxy S2 (Thebyani 4.3 ICS, Siyahkernel ICS) would probably be considered jerky as Heck by today's standards, but it's fine for me. I can barely tell the difference between my dad's Iconia A100 (4.0.3 ICS) and my mom's Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1 Jellybean), but my dad says it's smoother.
It's wonderful if you can deal with the lag on an S2, I personally wouldn't want to, but that by no means shows that the lag doesn't exist. You're also comparing devices with fairly similar specs, so by saying that you don't notice much of a difference before and after JB, it just solidifies my point that the problem persists even after Project Butter.

XCVG said:
an alternative, proprietary OS for a few certain groups of people, most with more money than sense.
Yeah, except iPhones are priced around the same as most other flagship smartphones, so I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. This isn't a Mac.

I'm sorry if I came off as excessively harsh, but it bothers me that the anti-ios circlejerk has become basically just as bad as the ios circlejerk. I don't understand why instead of making such a rude and uneducated generalization such as calling all iOS users stupid, you can't just come to terms that everyone has different purposes and uses for their phone, and therefore different OS preferences. I enjoy using both on my different devices for different things.

After all, it's just a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing phone.

I like they way you think, Zero. Constructive reasoning without direct or indirect naming/calling/shaming etc. People are trying to voice their opinions and all of the sudden they can be called "stupid, idiot or child".

Just to sum it up. For tablet and phone *For Myself* I would prefer iOS as I like simple stuff. For tinkerers and people who love to customize Android wins hands down.

Please keep this thread constructive and on topic.

People ITT criticizing iOS as an operating system for a phone because it's too simple.

for a phone

I use Android, but that doesn't mean i'm not laughing.

The simplicity is one of the big reasons I like WP. I don't want to have to think to answer a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing phone call or send a text message, and I don't want to have to spend an hour putting everything in a way I can deal with. Even if I only have to do that once, it's still far to much time spent doing it.

Most of the issues I run into are the issues one should expect when trying to use a smartphone to browse full web pages, and one of the issues I never run into is apps that only work on one specific phone, or don't work on a specific phone. This is because MS did the smart thing and said "You must be this tall to ride," and that's one of the biggest problem with the android ecosystem. Yeah, there are a flax ton of apps, but what percentage of them will actually work on your phone? How about a year from now?

Yeah honestly, I like that MS took a pretty balanced approach and said "Okay, anyone can make the hardware, but you gotta do it within our guidelines". This creates competition, while keeping fragmentation to a minimum. One of the reasons I wanna give WP8 a shot sometime in the future.

I'm an Android guy, I currently have an S3. My biggest complaint with Android is manufacturers adding their own bloatware and taking forever (if ever) to release updates, which doesn't help the fragmentation. I considered a WP8 phone when I got my S3 at the beginning of this year, but I know Android and didn't want to be stuck with something I don't like for 2 years. I'll definitely be doing more research into WP8 or its successor next time I upgrade.

I'm really considering getting one of those new Huawei WP8 phones that Walmart is supposed to be selling. $150 to try out a growing platform? Sounds good to me. Only thing I'll have to research is if it will actually work right on AT&T's network as opposed to T-Mobile. Even if it doesn't, I could still use it as a media player or something.

vskid, as far as I know, most carriers will allow you to exchange a phone within the first 30 days for another type or get a refund. I do know some of them make you pay a restocking fee if you get a refund, but I don't think that applies to exchanges. Just something to look into next time you can upgrade.

I'm stuck with an S3 for the next 2 years or so, not at all bothered, it's a really good phone.

24 months was up in May, ended my contract with my current carrier and moved elsewhere and got an S3

Zero said:
After all, it's just a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing phone.

QFT, at the risk of admitting weakness. My Galaxy S2 is more than a phone to me. It's like a pocket computer (come on, who didn't dream of those?) that has to be able to do everything. I suppose I have an unusual set of requirements.

Tablets are a different story, though. The price delta is also a lot bigger.

I'll play with WP8 next time I see a demo at a store.

Took delivery of a Nokia 928 yesterday, and I really gotta say, Windows Phone 8 is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*in great. It does everything I need it to just perfectly, and doesn't have any bullflax in the way. Setting up an Android install (recently set up Cyanogen 10 on my nook) tends to take me several hours to several days to find a loadout that works great. I had this phone activated and set up how I wanted within an hour, and have only done a couple minor tweaks since. My biggest complaint is that the shade of purple on the purple theme is a bit light for my tastes. So in short, I am now a WP8 believer.

But keep in mind, I don't do apps. I do some web browsing, some SMS/MMS and some calling, and that's about it. I had an Xperia play for years and never played games on it (that's what the PSP in my other pocket is for) and I don't really run any apps besides that. But for my uses, this device and OS is absolutely fantastic.

Back