Android or Apple

Rohan Loomis

describe why one is better than the other.

Android:
I like android better because it has a external SD card slot.
I also like android because it's only $25 to make a android
market account to sell home made apps.

UPDATE:
votes

Android: 6
Apple: 1
WP8: 2
Undecided: 1

These never end well...
I use both, I like both.

EDIT: lol I meant to update this with reasons, etc.

I love how android is sooo customizable, whereas with iOS you need to jailbreak to do anything other than move icons around or change the wallpaper.

Apple's new "direction" or whatever the Heck it is looks ugly. The only thing I honestly like about iDevices is their body. No one can deny that Apple devices are some of the most sexy devices on the planet. Some android devices are bland, but others are nice and look good.

Android is by far superior, and iOS is really starting to fall behind. I'm actually really interested to see how Ubuntu phone turns out.

Android due to it's not locked down nature, it lets me fiddle and have my phone to my liking, other than forcing me to stick to what they decide or think is best for me.

The only let down is the app store, Android needs quality control.

Windows Phone 8. Anyone who says otherwise obviously hasn't tried to use it.

I've been using WP7 and WP8 for two years now, and it's absolutely great. It's super responsive and no nonsense, which already puts it way above loads of android sets, and the UI is easy to figure out and looks rather nice.
Yeah, it doesn't have the same app selection as android or iPhone, but it does a great job of being a phone and web device. Also, I don't have to *Can'tSayThisOnTV* around with iTunes or setting on top of settings if I want to do anything.

I like Android because I can actually customize things and it has a large app selection.
I dislike iOS because of the forcing of iTunes upon its users and that you have to jailbreak it for it to even be useable.
I think I would like WP8, but could not use it as my daily phone due to its limited app selection. Other than that, it seems like a good platform.

AbyssPWNS said:
I like Android because I can actually customize things and it has a large app selection.
I dislike iOS because of the forcing of iTunes upon its users and that you have to jailbreak it for it to even be useable.
I think I would like WP8, but could not use it as my daily phone due to its limited app selection. Other than that, it seems like a good platform.
That sounds about right, I'd be fine with an iPhone if I didn't need itunes and if jailbreaking was easy at the time of purchase, and I wouldn't mind WP8 if it weren't for the lack of apps and phones, besides that I'm not really a fan of the UI and honestly don't know how easy it'd be to change out for something more traditional.
My Nexus 4 was pretty Dang cheap and offers a beautifully smooth android experience, and the thing's 8 months old now, the S4(Wouldn't recommend) or HTC One are just as good if not better, with the upsides of android's easy customizability and app versatility.

I'm running android at the moment, but very seriously considering switching to WP8. When it really comes down to it, I don't actually run any apps beyond the most basic functions, which WP8 has down great.

I'm running Cyanogen 10 on my tablet (yes I know I said I hate them and would never buy one, shut up - but I still do believe that. This thing was just cheap as all *Can'tSayThisOnTV*) and it's pretty alright. I don't use it for much though - only watching movies/anime, basically, so can't really comment on higher level app support. Maybe I should download some of the humble android games to see how they run, but eh.

As far as apple goes, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* em. Though I am considering picking up an Ipad3/4 LCD and hooking it to my computer through displayport for giggles.

Apple iOS - Just no. You're forced into Apple's locked-down ecosystem, their hardware is expensive and mediocre, and their famous user experience superiority is only a myth. I know quite a few people, some technically oriented and some not, that could figure out Android but not iOS. Once the hype wears off, you're left with an inferior device.

Blackberry 10 is meh. Personally, I found it very awkward to use and there's next to no app ecosystem. My prediction was that it would be good enough to satisfy existing Blackberry customers but wouldn't bring in new ones. I seem to be right on so far.

WP8 I have limited experience with. My initial impressions were not positive- I found it ugly as Heck and awkward to use. It seems there are more apps than WP7 had, but it's still close if I remember correctly.

Android is my favorite because it's open, customizable, runs well (finally) and has lots of nice features. To me it just has a nicer feel than any other mobile OS, but this isn't something I can describe. Your mileage may vary, but Androids can be the cheapest of the lot. In the end, Android will win, not because of consumer preference but because it's free and open for any manufacturer to use.

My final recommendation is a universal one- go to the store and try them all out before you make any decisions.

Wrong section, moving this to Mobile.

With that said, for phones, I've been switching between android and ios. I don't need my phone to be powerful enough to run Crysis, because it's just a waste of battery at that point. I use my phone for simple tasks like calling, texting, web browsing, music, and social media. That's pretty much it, I don't even really play any of those flaxty time-waster mobile games. For that reason, I'm perfectly happy with my current iPhone 5 on T-Mobile (had a Nexus 4 before that, which was nice too). The OS is more locked down unless you jailbreak it sure, but you can't deny that it's snappier (even after Project Butter), which is super important for me when I'm on the go. That, plus the amazing battery life and lightning (I despise microUSB with a passion and have had 2 ports break in the past) meet all my requirements and is why I'm fine with any stock restrictions on the OS.

Now, for tablets, I can't see myself using ios over android. I treat my tablet (Nexus 7), like it was a computer, and I use it for much more extensive tasks than my phone. I wouldn't want to deal with iOS's restrictions in that case, and would much prefer the customization and sideloading offered by android.

Overall, I'm really happy with my current setup because it fits my uses perfectly and I get the best of both worlds, but that's the key. My usage will differ from everyone else's, so it's pointless to ask which is OS is "best", just spend some time with all of them and figure out which is best suited for you. I haven't gotten a chance to spend a decent amount of time with WP8 yet, but once the app pool becomes larger I'd like to give that a shot too.

My sister has the iPhone 5, and my cousin has the S4. They are both very "snappy" but I don't think the iPhone is any "snappier" than the S4, and vice versa.

I definitely notice it. It's improved A LOT, but "android lag" is still a thing. It's just something most people don't care about or notice. You also have to realize that the processing power on the S4 is way ahead of the iPhone 5, considering the iPhone 5 is about a generation behind spec-wise. The S4 is only a two month old phone, and the iPhone 6 won't be out for another couple months. So for you to say they both feel about as snappy to you is quite a feat then.

I also can't speak for Touchwiz or any of those other abominations since I'm a vanilla android snob, but I've never heard anyone say they make the OS snappier.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note (The first one) and the only thing I like about it is the Google Maps. There is way too much customization for a phone. Things are not very intuitive. Example: I had to go to the internet to find an option of how to disable a predictive text (look how on google search how many people are asking about it). For people who go home and customize the phone etc Android is very nice. For people who want simplicity iOS is very nice. For the phone I am thinking of getting next iphone. I just like that Apple has a better quality control over apps etc. Sheer amount of apps is why iOS wins.

Also, when I bought my Galaxy Note a lot of games, programs did not support it for a while. Android fragmentation (not only Android OS releases but the phones' specs are huge).

Btw.. I am still learning about Android. I do not want to sit there and explore the whole OS. Once I learn something and then find out how easy the same thing was done on another OS (be it iOS, WP8, etc. you then ask yourself why they didn't do it simpler. So at the end simplicity and usability wins in my case.

I like to buy my games or apps FULL without ads. I noticed that MOST full games on iOS do not have ads. Same game that is paid on iOS on Android might be free but they have tons of ads. Why? Android is so easy to pirate.

As for a tablet I chose iPad. Why? Again, I have to small kids 2 and 5. 2 year old learned to use it in few days. Originally I planned on getting Android tablet. But after I got my phone (Android) I decided against it.

I think if wireless carriers stopped putting all skins and let the bare bone Android OS on (I know about jailbreaking etc) it would be much better.

I did not use WP8 yet but it looks pretty simple too.

People are free to make choices. I respect people's choices. ***

*** Respect people's opinions :)

Galaxy S4 primary phone, iPhone 4s old phone as programming phone (app still in development not interesting just calculator)

iPad as tablet. Used frequently for browsing and games

Off topic (might help show point)
Triple boot
hackintosh to program ios apps, also my main work partition
Windows for windows specific apps, also my main programming partition.
Linux media server. Arch linux, to look like an old version of Ubuntu that used gnome

As you can see they both have their uses, I like android for its flexibility, and i like iOS for its fluidness and smooth transitions.

Reason for iPad not android tab?
I noticed that iPhone seems to get cramped with apps and with me needing simplicity I always need to keep all apps on one page, so iPad screen space was the easy fix, then with androids flexibility, it made it possible to keep everything on one page and have widgets on the screen for music and such. But I once had an android tab and I found that I had too much extra space and the smoothness even with all the power was just not there.
Typed on my iPad.

Back