Afro & Afro's Friend's MAME Cab of Awesomeness

Discussion in 'NES' started by AfroLH, Mar 1, 2015.

1. AfroLH

AfroLH Frequent Poster

So, my friend and I are currently planning on making a Vewlix-style MAME cab.
    The currently planned features are:

-PC & Xbox 360 inside the cab
    -2 Player controls
    -32' LCD TV
    -Hyperspin Frontend
    -USB ports for gamepads
    -Emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast, Neo-Geo & CD, CPS1 & 2 (& hopefully 3), and of course, MAME.
    -Some sort of Jukebox mode

We're pretty early in the planning stages, but the general style we're going for is something like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A sit-down, Vewlix-like cab.
    It's gonna be pretty sick, hopefully.

It's probably gonna take a while for us to finish this (parts are expensive D:), but we hope to have it done by the end of the year.

Any of you guys have any advice or suggestions for us? We're pretty open to anything at this point.

2. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

Are you going to try to get full analog on the sticks (mostly for Xbox) or are you just gonna go 4/8 way?

3. AfroLH

AfroLH Frequent Poster

I think we're gonna stick with the 4/8 way. Although, I'm not opposed to upgrading to something like this in the future: http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html

4. Zero

Zero ModRetro Legend Administrator

Man, I always wanted to do this but I either never have the space or the time. What front-end are you looking at using?

5. bud

bud DAT ASS

AFRO CAN'T MAKE THINGS

6. Bush

Bush sweet justice

Please tell me you're going to use a crt monitor with rgb

7. AfroLH

AfroLH Frequent Poster

Well, I think the two we are deciding between is Hyperspin and MaLa. We might also try out Maximus Arcade because I think it comes with the X-Arcade stick.

Truuuuuu

Unfortunately, no. We're just going with a flat screen to save space. If we had a bigger, more permanent house, Wed probably use a CRT, but it's just too bulky.

8. Bush

Bush sweet justice

Aww. I suppose you can probably generate scanlines through software on the pc.

9. AfroLH

AfroLH Frequent Poster

Re:

Definitely. And honestly, one of the main reasons I'm doing this is for Street Fighter 4 and BlazBlue, so scanlines aren't really a big issue for me.

10. Prog

Don't worry Bush, I'll have a modified TV in mine. I should probably make a worklog for that... tomorrow.

11. Bush

Bush sweet justice

Do it. I want to make one with an old Sony rgb monitor.

12. AfroLH

AfroLH Frequent Poster

Our X-Arcade stick has shipped! :D

Our first plan is to mod the X-Arcade's sticks to have the ball-top (Japanese style) Sanwa sticks.

13. nevermind1534

nevermind1534 Active Member

Did I ever share my MAME cabinet on here?

14. Prog

A search of your posts suggests that you did not.