64 BOY wip Complete

Re: 64 BOY wip *UPDATE 02/02/10*

Yeah, I owned that screen and it gave me a rolling image with a genesis and an n64. If you have any other n64s laying around, try them on the screen. I sold Palmer my screen, and he said that it should work with his n64. I'm thinking it has something to do with the video chips.

I hope it works out for you.

YES!! and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I plugged in my dingoo and it worked perfectly, but I plugged in my other rev 4 n64 (the one I'm going to use for the 64 boy) and I got the same problem. DANG IT! I hope it's just a grounding problem, at least now I know it works and I can start soldering to it and I don't have to return it.

Edit, don't capacitors reduce interference on video lines?

from what hail said in another thread you have to attach the video ground to the battery's ground.. try that lol

oh yeah and if you can't get it to work i could always take it off your hand :p

Bentomo, the problem people have is the screen works with some things but not others, not they just come broken lol. Good luck.

Well I didn't know about the issue that it works with some and not with others so your post says to me it's just broken.

I know lol.

The screen works with some things, but rolls on others. Usually *Can'tSayThisOnTV*s up on old stuff.

Try the grounding thing before you spend time on the screen.

I've pretty much grounded everything to the same ground, I have made a discovery though, it's really bad quality at first, but when I press reset on the n64 the quality is perfect besides the rolling. Which means something has to charge, however it's not the screen or the n64 alone, they both have to be on for a second then the n64 is reset and the quality is good.

So what's the difference between older composite lines and new ones. hmmmmmm

I'd like to fix this problem for my self and hopefully for others. Good 3.5" screens are a terrible thing to waste.

I've experimented with the diagram and it works pretty well, the hard part is finding the right brightness so that you can still see inside ganons castle (I think it's the darkest place I have) and it doesn't wash out and cut off. I loose the signal when it get's too bright. I've changed a lot in the diagram, so far I'm using about a millifarad of capacitance and am experimenting with a 10k pot, I might try a different transistor. A lot of it might be from the screen not really being high quality and having a bad aspect ratio.

So I might up end up using the old screen after all. I'll try to find something else to do with the new screen.

I'll also try using the amplifier on the new screen, it's a long shot and I'll have to have at least 3 rabit's feet and a clover on me for it to work but maybe. I have to do that later because I need to set up a second power supply, my caps are rated at 6.3v and the screen needs the 7.4, so yeah.

Alright, I've figured out the best thing is the capacitor is 330 microfarad capacitor and a 4.6Kohm resistor. The screen doesn't cut out when the whole screen is almost white, and I can see ok when in ganons castle it's not as good as I'd like it to be, and I'll miss the contrast button, but oh well. There's nothing I can do about it but risk buying the same screen and hope it works my n64. I'll play around with the new one and see what I can do with it though, it's a pretty nice screen besides the rolling.

But what if the picture still rolls? There are some other good 3.5 inch screens on ebay.

The picture is still rolling, I'm using the old screen now but with an amplifier for the contrast. Plus I don't want to wait another 2 weeks for it to get here. I tried the amplifier with the new screen and it was worse.

Well I've got a nice update for you guys. I did an overall power draw on the system. I haven't done the expansion pak relocation or cartridge relocation yet since it doesn't affect the power ratings. I haven't fixed the lowled yet, it works with my variable power supply, just not on the n64. I'll just rewire that. If I do end up replacing the ram chips with expansion pak chips (which I won't do without a heat gun) it will save about 200mAh of battery life, that way I can play while charging, otherwise I'll need a 1.5 amp smart charger, I only have a 1.2 because for some reason battery space doesn't have it on there site anymore. Anyway here's the video.

Dang youtube made it hard to read the multimeters. :evil2:

Re: 64 BOY wip *UPDATE 02/26/10*

"If I do end up replacing the ram chips with expansion pak chips (which I won't do without a heat gun)"

Make sure that you keep the heat gun FAR away from the chips and board while you are doing this. DOn'e get imparient like I did, you'll make the board bubble if it heads too fast.

Ooh, also, I noticed in your first post that you are gonna be doing the battery life indicator. My advice? Awesome. Looking forward to seeing it, and I bet that the video helped you ascertain just exactly what parameters you have to adjust it to! :)

SS

if you get rid of the 2 pins that aren't used(like you told me), you can probably really easily lift the ram chips off the n64 and the exp pak with just a soldering iron.

The low battery indicator is just going to be a bicolor one that switches from green to red when it gets low. I'm still having trouble getting it to work, just going to rewire the whole thing since it's just on a breadboard.

Where can I get a 7.4v lipo 1.5amp smart charger?

I don't know why but when you click on the 1.5amp charger on batteryspace it just takes you to the homepage. Either out of stock or discontinued because I haven't seen it on there for a couple months.

My current charger just barely isn't enough to charge and play at the same time, when it's almost dead it peaks between 1.3 and 1.4 amps. So I need the 1.5amp charger. But battery space doesn't have it anymore.

So does anyone know where I can get a 1.5amp 7.4v lipo smart charger?

Back