64 BOY wip Complete

Re: 64 BOY wip *UPDATE 02/02/10*

XCVG, I believe the real you has been abducted and replaced by a very grumpy replica. BRING BACK THE OLD xcvg THAT JUST WHINES ABOUT THE DAMNED INFLATED CANADIAN PRICES!!

Ok definitely going with glossy black. I didn't want to do white because to me it kind of looks unfinished. But I was worried about not being able to read the 64 boy on the back, so I tested it with drilled samples, and guess what, It's even easier to see then white! The camera doesn't do it justice though. It looks really nice in person. I like a black portable way better then a white one.

DSC02539.jpg

Black is the best!!! White just desn't cut it for me it's too plain...

Something else you can do is put a second layer of perforated plastic underneath, with the holes staggered. put a little spacer in and it will work just as well. If you have room.

Don't do solid black, do like a grey-ish black, like n64 black, so it looks like original n64 hardware.

Then it would be shweeeeeeet

:hit: Choosing the color of this portable is turning out to be the hardest part so far. :rofl:

Alright, I need your guys' input on this. I can either put the power for the screen and audio amp into the same switch so they can be turned off at the same time. (for home docking mode) Or the audio amp can be always on.

The only reason for it being always on would be so when your in homemode and playing on a big screen you can still use headphones. If you don't want sound you can just turn it all the way down.

So what do you guys think? (if someone made you a portable which would you prefer?)

people with an unmodded genesis model 1 who have the lust for stereo sound.

[img:16pba1vk]http://forums.modretro.com/images/ranks/awesomesomething.png[/img] said:
people with an unmodded genesis model 1 who have the lust for stereo sound.
You don't know what you're missing until you've experienced it!

But I vote turn it off with the screen.

hey have you thought of putting in an orange LED to light the holes up? maybe with a switch? I like LEDS lol

Bushwhacker said:
hey have you thought of putting in an orange LED to light the holes up? maybe with a switch? I like LEDS lol
I haven't thought of that. It could be pretty cool though. I'll try to remember it after I paint the case. I'll close it up and put some orange leds on the edges. If it looks cool it's going in. Especially since it will light up the copper heatsinks. :D

mako321 said:
any progress?
Not much, I made the inside cover for the cartridge slot, cut out the vga port on the bottom, and added some plastic on the insides to keeps the walls from being pushed in. I'm waiting for a new screen to get here. I'm going to wire the complete system and test power draw and some switches and see what the voltage is for the low led.

Here's what I have left to do for the case:
Headphone jack
power jack
low led hole
screen hole
speaker grill
switches for power and internal controller to external.
volume and contrast adjustment

Guess what my screen finally came. The good news, i can see everything perfectly with the new contrast. Bad news is that at 6 bolts it's a white screen but at 7.4 it's fine, so I'm only hoping it will stay on down to 6.8 volts. Also it draws at least 200mA. (at 12v it draws 171mA so probably less than 300mAh) But the really bad news is that there appears to be an issue with the screen it self. The screen scrolls, and sometimes it's terrible quality but that's probably from the scrolling.

6v white
DSC02550.jpg

Good quality scrolling, it looks bad just because the camera can't keep up.
DSC02549.jpg

Bad quality scrolling, this happens at random as far as I can tell, I've tried letting it discharge full and switching it back on immediately but it's still random.
DSC02549.jpg

I'm guessing the quality and scrolling are caused by the same quality. This would be a pretty good screen if it weren't for the scrolling. It's probably some kind of interference.

Here's the back
DSC02554.jpg

And the front, this side touches the back of the screen.
DSC02555.jpg

I found a small dent in the ribbon cable but it doesn't seem too major, although I've been playing with the cable and it's very sensitive, but the best I can get out of it is the first result with the screen scrolling.

Any suggestions?

You may be wondering why I'm doing this, reason being that the contrast is awesome, like night and day compared to my old screen.
DSC02553.jpg

DSC02552.jpg

Other people have had that problem with some 3.5" screens.

You're screwed.

:cry4:

When you put the orange leds in the back. put a sheet of plexiglass in as well, and diffuse the LEDs well and it could look very well evenly lit.

I can't those holes are for ventilation. But I also fail at diffusing, I put a white led into my gameboy color and it's a huge fail.

So much for finishing before mgc, it's going to take 2 weeks to get back, and it will cost more then the screen if they don't pay for shipping, was shipped to me from hong kong. And if I do get a replacement it's going to take 2 weeks to get here. So that's a month down the drain, which is all I have left for mgc.

D:

To diffuse LEDs, get some superfine sandpaper and sand them until they're murky colored. (They'll look like frosted glass.)

Back