5 inch psone or 3.5 inch screen for mah portable?

Discussion in 'PlayStation 1' started by zeturi, Mar 17, 2010.

1. zeturi

zeturi DEMON PIE!

The psone is my favorite console. I freaking LOVE it. But I have one really tough decision here, and I need some help before I start case work.

I have a psone screen, which will get me a bigger screen and rgb. It'll give me three hours with the batteries I have picked out. If I use this one, then I'm frankencasing the screen front and disc portion of the psone into some sheets of plastic. It'll be a bit tougher going this route in making a case.

I have screen #2 from hailrazer's review. It will give composite, which looks good enough to me. Text is easily readable in Dragon Warrior VII. I'll give FF7 a go to be sure. It'll give me five hours of battery life, and I'll be able to use the psone's original case to install everything into. Just that a 3.5 inch might be just a wee bit too small for my liking for this console.

Plox give me your opinionz!

2. Thursty

Thursty SS's Preferred Refreshment

Well Honestly, I can't play PS1 on anything smaller than the PS1 Screen lol.

Plus the Screen was, After all, MADE for the PS1, so I'm sure you won't have any trouble with it whatsoever, plus the picture will be perfect.

I say go the PS1 screen route.

3. Mario

Mario Gin-Choobinest Member Staff Member

I like small portables, as long as they're full-featured. I'm nearsighted, so a 3.5" screen isn't a big deal to me. I would use the 3.5". ;)

4. icarus

icarus Active Member

Compromise. 4 inches. If you can find one. :p

5. zeturi

zeturi DEMON PIE!

I think a 4 inch screen would be ideal, actually, but I don't wanna shuck out any more cash than needed. Considering I have everything needed to complete a psone portable, I'd just like to use what I have.

I'm almost definitely omitting the analog sticks, since nothing I play requires them. The 5 inch looks great and is a good size, but the 3.5 inch looks just as good and will give me some extra play time. This is my exact dilemma. I'll wait for some more responses; I'll probably end up using the screen that most of you guys want. I wonder how to set up a poll.

EDIT: My spelling has been off lately. I spelled the word poll "pole" :rofl: :facepalm: I need to retest my I.Q.

6. neverused

neverused Well-Known Member

PSOne screen.

7. zeturi

zeturi DEMON PIE!

2 vs 1, and I can't wait any longer. Psone screen it is! :twisted:

EDIT: Wouldn't be able to change my mind even if I wanted to. I cemented in the psone screen plastic onto the psone. I probably won't be starting a work log, but I think I'll be able to finish this system with few problems.

8. Bino Gas

Bino Gas Active Member

You can input s-video in some (if not all) of the 3.5" screens. It depends on the video decoder.

Go 3.5" but first finish the Genny.

EDIT: You should have went with the 3.5". :stare:

9. themadhacker

themadhacker Crazy Train

wait, which 3.5 inch screens can input s-video?

10. XCVG

XCVG ModRetro Legend

I'm pretty sure I could mod my screen for s-video if I could find a datasheet or pinout for the freaking chip. I've seen a description and it says it can do s-video.

Anyway, I say 3.5". I don't get what's with the huge screens. Maybe it's because I'm used to gaming on a 20" flat panel and use my DS (3" screens) a lot.

11. Bino Gas

Bino Gas Active Member

12. zeturi

zeturi DEMON PIE!

13. Bino Gas

Bino Gas Active Member

It says it works with RGB, but I don't see in the diagram which pins r,g,b and c-sync would connect to.

Could you provide a link to the screen that uses this chip?

14. zeturi

zeturi DEMON PIE!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2189451008

This is screen #1 from hailrazer's review. It seems there are several revisions of it, and each one uses a different video decoder.

I believe Marshallh on benheck discussed it with Tchay a while back, they never found out how to use RGB with this screen.

15. Bibin

Bibin Frequent Poster

Stick with the PSOne LCD. Composite sucks and will always suck, where as RGB looks godly.

If you find a 3.5" that does S-video, that'll be fine too.

16. XCVG

XCVG ModRetro Legend

Apparently the screens Palmer was planning to get for the MR store all can be modded for s-video.