3DS Modding Help

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to the modding world, and something peeked my curiosity.

I own a Nintendo 3DS; and today, after taking a look at the top section, I suddenly realized (Or well, saw.) that the way the 3DS was manufactured, has the top section in 2 layers (what looks to be an outer clear coating, and the inner plastic housing). Taking a moment, I thought to myself "Well, if that is removable, why couldn't you stick a decal in?" It would make a lot more sense rather than just being messy and painting over your 3DS.

Which is why I'm posting here. I'm not sure if my conclusion is correct. And sadly I dont have enough money to buy a new 3DS if I break mine. Which is why I've come to you, the experts. Is what I said, in fact, correct? That there are 2 layers on the top cover? Or is it just my mind playing tricks on me. That, and if I were to do a cosmetic mod to my 3DS (I'm thinking either a Tardis or perhaps something Pokemon related), what would be the best way, in your opinion, to do so?

Please, let me know as soon as you can, I would love to attempt to try this.

I believe the layers were molded together and can't be separated. So unfortunately, your idea probably won't work.

Perhaps instead of ruining yours you can find a replacement one on ebay for a few bucks and test it out on one of those before you take apart yours. You would need to take yours apart anyways to get it separated so why not try it on a second one first and if it doesnt separate then you got a nice looking new one you can swap out. And you break it, then no harm done to yours and you know it cant be done.

Back