3d printing a case viable?

toms42

Newb
long time lurker here, made my account to post this.

I have been looking into building a gc-portable for a couple years now, and I finally have the time/budget to do it. I have most of the parts already, (including a genuine wii key fusion, and 2 broken 3ds's for frankencasing and analog sticks) but I'm still unsure of casing.

I have considered the zn-40 as a very viable option, but it doesn't really have the "wow" factor of vacuum formed cases or even the okw softcase.

I plan on doing an almostWTF cut, maybe an OMGWTF cut, but I still need room for my 5Ah sheet batteries, controller board, regulator, psone display, etc, so I don't know I f I could fit into the okw softcase.

I want to vacuum form/machine a case, but I don't have the resources. I do have a 3d printer I built, with an 8"x8" build area. You guys have more experience than me, so do you think I could print a case that is durable/precise enough to use?

pros:
-very customizable
-smooth, near perfect finish after acetone vapor bathing. (google it)
-many color choices, although in all likelihood I will paint it anyways.
-no need to machine holes, they can be printed in.
-super easy to make a new one if the size is wrong or I change layouts.

cons:
-overhangs get tough
-some imperfections occasionally
-8" only in any one dimension
-durability might not be as good as a solid piece of plastic
-hard to design with my limited google sketchup software

any ideas?
I want it to fit into a okw softcase, but that is hard, and I don't know if I could pull it off.

unrelated questions:
-what kinds of push buttons do you guys use? and how do you attach them to the shell so they don't wiggle when you push them?

Downing has been 3d printing cases for a while now, I think gman has played with it some.

I feel the need to remind you that vapor baths only work with ABS, and that most 3d printing is done in PLA. Make sure you have the right plastic.

The biggest con IMO, though, is that you have to know where everything is going in advance. BenHeck is pretty great at that, most of us just hot glue things to wherever we can fit them, though.

Yeah, I use ABS and have messed with vapor baths a couple times.

ttsgeb said:
The biggest con IMO, though, is that you have to know where everything is going in advance. BenHeck is pretty great at that, most of us just hot glue things to wherever we can fit them, though.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If you are talking about printing the case around the parts, I would probably just print in two pieces.

Back