1937 Ford Sedan Rear End upgrade?

Discussion in 'Other' started by ibShane, Feb 17, 2018.

1. ibShane

ibShane Newb

Hello,
    I am a newbie to both this forum, and my newly aquired 1937 Ford Fordor Sedan.

What I am looking to do is make my bone stock '37 Ford more roadable..., bring it up to speed so to speak!

My plan so far is to retrofit a T5 tranny along with a modern Rear Diff. w/open driveline & leaf or coilover suspention.

I pretty much have the T5 conversion figured out..., but I am looking for suggestions on what modern vehicle would have an appropriate doner rear end for my '37? Preferably something that came with factory disc brakes.., but drums would be ok.

Thanks in adavance!

2. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

I'm not quite sure how you ended up here - this forum is aimed at electronics and retro videogame console modifications, primarily, so it's gonna be far from the best resource available for a restomod.

With that said, a Foxbody mustang rear end would get the job done just fine, I'd imagine. Probably super cheap at a junkyard too.

Personally if I was gonna be doing a new rear end, I'd do independent suspension instead of a live axle, and would probably use something like a 240SX rear subframe, but that's dramatically more work because the frame rails need to go away for that to happen. And then you'd want modern suspension at the front, and all the sudden you're looking at a full tube frame, which isn't cheap or easy, to say the least.

ttsgeb likes this.