~$1000 PC biuld

bic said:
No, it's the worst part. You get your parts all installed nice and neat but then you have to plug all that crap in and the power supply has a million extra cables you're never going to use so they get crammed on top of the optical drive. It's not as bad as it used to be in the ribbon cable days but cabling an otherwise pristine case...
I tell you, I just recently built a workstation (i7 2600k, dual FirePro v7800's) and the power supply had the most obvious, but totally excellent feature: All the cables other than main Mobo power were seperated out, and simply plugged in at both ends. That way the unused ones dont need to be there. Totally great. And it was still a cramped mess. But then thats what happens when you fill every drive bay, 5" and 3.5" on an antec 300 with a full atx mobo and two rather massive video cards in it.

samjc3 said:
bic said:
No, it's the worst part. You get your parts all installed nice and neat but then you have to plug all that crap in and the power supply has a million extra cables you're never going to use so they get crammed on top of the optical drive. It's not as bad as it used to be in the ribbon cable days but cabling an otherwise pristine case...
I tell you, I just recently built a workstation (i7 2600k, dual FirePro v7800's) and the power supply had the most obvious, but totally excellent feature: All the cables other than main Mobo power were seperated out, and simply plugged in at both ends. That way the unused ones dont need to be there. Totally great. And it was still a cramped mess. But then thats what happens when you fill every drive bay, 5" and 3.5" on an antec 300 with a full atx mobo and two rather massive video cards in it.
Yes Sam, that's called a "modular" PSU. :p

Mako321 said:
samjc3 said:
bic said:
Yes Sam, that's called a "modular" PSU. :p
You say that like you expect me to have a clue. Its not like I paid the slightest bit of attention when I bought it. or put it together, or much of anything, really.

Yeah, my power supply isn't modular and has a metric TON of cables. They just sit in front of it, blocking the lower fan and probably causing most of the flow noise my computer makes.

XCVG said:
Yeah, my power supply isn't modular and has a metric TON of cables. They just sit in front of it, blocking the lower fan and probably causing most of the flow noise my computer makes.
Protip: Hide PSU cables in your HDD bay with lots of zip ties if there's extra space. Otherwise, bunch it up at the bottom of your case next to the PSU with more zip ties.

I have all my extra power cables crammed in that little area between the motherboard support steel and the 3.5" drive mounts. My old PC's power supply was at the top, so I simply put the optical drive in the second-highest drive bay and crammed all the extra cables on top.
emot-effort.gif

Know what the most annoying cables are in my opinion.

THE DANG 6 PIN PCI-E CONNECTORS!

Got a decent gpu? Now you're going to have wires going straight across the middle of the case. :trollface:

bentomo said:

Got a decent gpu? Now you're going to have wires going straight across the middle of the case. :trollface:
You've obviously NEVER touched a molex connector. :stare:
6 pin pci-e connectors are easy as *Can'tSayThisOnTV* to hide, so long as your case lets you hide them at the back.
MOLEX CONNECTORS KILLED MY BROTHER.

Mako321 said:
bentomo said:

6 pin pci-e connectors are easy as *PLINK* to hide, so long as your case lets you hide them at the back.
It's not the fact that they're easy to hide, it's the fact that they cross the center of the computer over to the graphics card or high power pci e card.

bentomo said:
Mako321 said:
bentomo said:

6 pin pci-e connectors are easy as *PLINK* to hide, so long as your case lets you hide them at the back.
It's not the fact that they're easy to hide, it's the fact that they cross the center of the computer over to the graphics card or high power pci e card.
How big is your case/small is your video card? :p

It's a palit 460 with the pci plugs sticking out the side so the wires stick right up to the window.

It's just I put a lot of time into organizing the wires and there's nothing I can do about these ones since they just sit in the middle.

Back