~$1000 PC biuld

FierceDeity said:
3 monitors for eyefinity
Protip: Nvidia cards can do it too. And so far as Im concerned, they do it better. Its called NV-surround, and so far as I know it works on many games.

One last suggestion would be to change out that power supply. Your desktop should definitely not pull more than 500w at peak, and Seasonic is the best you can get when it comes to power supplies. (Even though the TX750v2 is also a Seasonic make :p)

samjc3 said:
FierceDeity said:
3 monitors for eyefinity
Protip: Nvidia cards can do it too. And so far as Im concerned, they do it better. Its called NV-surround, and so far as I know it works on many games.

It requires you to run two cards in SLi and maxes out at three monitors. Versus one card and up to six monitors with Eyefinity. Although with nVidia you CAN do 3D Surround, which there is no AMD equivalent of. It does require not one but three 3D-capable monitors and a set of glasses, though.

Performance wise, nVidia and AMD are a tossup. Buy whichever is cheaper and faster at the time if that's your only concern. 6950 beats 560 Ti beats 6870 beats 460 1GB/560 vanilla beats 6850 beats 460 768MB, IIRC. nVidia cards generally do better on tesselation, though. Feature wise, there is the aforementioned multi-monitor technology where AMD holds the clear advantage. 3D is supported far better on nVidia cards (I'm not sure if AMD does it at all). I think AMD does better on multimedia, with UVD and the ability for basically all cards to stream Blu-ray audio via HDMI. GPGPU wise, nVidia has CUDA, AMD doesn't, not sure how well either one performs. I might have screwed something up, so if I were you I'd look this up instead of listening to you... me, him, whatever.

Yeah, I'm just going to go with Nvidia on this. I could spend a ton of time doing research, but they are both great manufacturers, and their price/performance is relatively the same. My only other question is if I get a Seasonic 620 watt psu, and then get 2 gtx 560 ti's and run SLI, is 620 watt still enough?

FierceDeity said:
Yeah, I'm just going to go with Nvidia on this. I could spend a ton of time doing research, but they are both great manufacturers, and their price/performance is relatively the same. My only other question is if I get a Seasonic 620 watt psu, and then get 2 gtx 560 ti's and run SLI, is 620 watt still enough?
Might be pushing a 620w PSU with that.
I'll tell you now though, Geforce GTX500 series cards scale terrible in comparison to Radeon HD6000 cards.
Dual 6950s are a MUCH better deal than 560TIs, for price to performance.

Mako321 said:
I'll tell you now though, Geforce GTX500 series cards scale terrible in comparison to Radeon HD6000 cards.

From what I've read, the 6950 isn't that much better than the 560ti, and it costs more. The 6950 2gb is defiantly better, but for a whole lot more.

FierceDeity said:
Mako321 said:

From what I've read, the 6950 isn't that much better than the 560ti, and it costs more. The 6950 2gb is defiantly better, but for a whole lot more.
That may be true for single cards, but dual 6950s run MUCH more quickly than 2x560Ti.

My single GTX460 can max out Crysis at 1080p. Unless you're trying to recreate Toy Story or something, I don't think that much graphics power is needed. For dual monitor setups, SLI would be pretty cool though.

J.D said:
My single GTX460 can max out Crysis at 1080p. Unless you're trying to recreate Toy Story or something, I don't think that much graphics power is needed. For dual monitor setups, SLI would be pretty cool though.
At what, 15 or 20fps?

Mako321 said:
That may be true for single cards, but dual 6950s run MUCH more quickly than 2x560Ti.

True, but they also cost around $100 more for 2 6950s than 2 560 Ti's. For that price, I could almost get a 2 570's

I'm getting this case now since the coolermaster is out of stock, and I'm ordering everything today. I know I could get the HAF on amazon, but I like this case too.

Oh god, that case is fugly, but it's your choice. Good luck, and remember, installing the CPU isn't the hardest part of the build. Routing the cables is.

XCVG said:
Oh god, that case is fugly, but it's your choice. Good luck, and remember, installing the CPU isn't the hardest part of the build. Routing the cables is.
Routing cables is fun as Heck, though.

XCVG said:

XCVG, you and I must have deferent case preferences, I like that case and the HAF, while you don't. Also I think the antec 300 is too plain, unlike you. Thats the beauty if building your own computer.

Mako321 said:
Routing cables is fun as Heck, though.
No, it's the worst part. You get your parts all installed nice and neat but then you have to plug all that crap in and the power supply has a million extra cables you're never going to use so they get crammed on top of the optical drive. It's not as bad as it used to be in the ribbon cable days but cabling an otherwise pristine case...
emot-smith.gif

Wiring a server closet kind of ruins cable routing for you. :\

Back