Search results

1. laingsoft

Transistor stops switching power after a few seconds/minutes

I've been trying to control an animatronic Christmas tree, but I've run into a problem I can't figure out. I have three transistors that are controlling the three motors of the tree. The base is connected through a resistor to the GPIO pin of my Raspi. The Collector is connected to the...
  2. laingsoft

Modretro Slack?

Any of you guys use slack? Interested in making a channel?
  3. laingsoft

What is the best way to pull serial data from a controller?

I want to use a Dreamcast controller, and I need to build a USB to Serial cable/box/board. Is it as simple as using an FTDI? I haven't done anything with microcontrollers, so I really don't know exactly how I would go about building this. I understand what I'd need to do on the software side...
  4. laingsoft

Functional or OOP

In this thread we discuss why OOP is a terrible model and that it shouldn't be taught in schools.
  5. laingsoft

How do I find work that doesn't make me hate myself?

Seriously? I've been freelancing, and it feels like I'm selling my soul for pennies on the hour. I've been interning, and it feels like I'm having creativity and happiness strangled out of me. I've dabbled in managing, and thought about opening liquor stores, but it feels disgusting to...
  6. laingsoft

Sorting Algorithms.

What's your favorite? Mine is obviously sleepsort. http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/arc ... 2Tries.pdf
  7. laingsoft

Merry Christmas Modretro!

idgaf what holiday you celebrate. Enjoy life for the next few days, mmkay?
  8. laingsoft

I'm going to Australia.

My grill-fiend decided that I was too cool for her, so she bounced out like a rubber ball. So I bought a round trip to Melbourne and back, and I'm spending a month or so there. Anyone know anything fun to do, other than smoke tobacco and punch dingoes?
  9. laingsoft

Commodore 64, Vic 20, or Atari 800

I need one of these, and the only ones people are selling up here are marked as "COLLECTORS ITEMS", and cost $400+. Hopefully one of you 'murcans or brits can snatch me one of these *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ers for cheap.
  10. laingsoft

CRT V.S. LCD/OLED/Newer stuff

What has a POSSIBLE higher DPI, CRT's, or LCD onwards/today's TV's? CRT's should possibly be able to deflect the electrons relatively precisely, and I assume it would be possible to aim them at an area much smaller than the possible pixel sizes for other types of screens. So really, other...
  11. laingsoft

Buttcoins

Just so you guys know, bitcoins hit $150 a piece a few days ago. There is also a similar thing happening with ppcoins. Currently they are trading for ~0.009 bitcoins. Last night, I had bought some ppcoins for around 0.0028 BTC. ppcoins are jumping super fast, It's likely that they will...
  12. laingsoft

Post your favorite Video Games

The Saboteur MGS4 WET Mirror's Edge
  13. laingsoft

ERPSIDHMSWWRBC: My Robot.

It stands for: Experimental Robotics Platform So I Don't Hurt My Self While Writing Really Bad Code I'm building a large-er scale robot later on in the year for a Skills Canada competition. I needed something that performs similar, but won't punch holes in the wall/ hurt me or my cat. So, I...
  14. laingsoft

So It's been a couple months since Windows 8 has been out.

What are you're thoughts on it? I love it so far. I have it installed on all of my laptops. The Metro interface isn't bad, and It isn't obtrusive. The deep search is fast, and I haven't had any problems. The new task manager is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing awesome, and the inclusion of ribbons into the explorer...
  15. laingsoft

$72 Chinese android tablets.

I've been looking at these tablet that run the Allwinner/Rockchip A1X microprocessors, these things are pree badass. They come with an onboard Mali 400 GPU, Cortex A8 processor running at 1.2/1.0, but capable of running at 1.5. The best part? The A1X only costs like $7 bulk price for the board...
  16. laingsoft

I need an American Shipping proxy.

One of you 'murcans wanna help me get some parts for my laptop? I'll pay for everything, I just need someone with an address, and some time to put something in the mail.
  17. laingsoft

Modding the Brain: An experiment in Nootropics.

Nootropics are a class of drug that are said to increase "cognitive function". I am going to do an experiment with three different ones, and hopefully, in the future, some others. I will be studying the effects of these drugs on short term memory. Piracetam is the first drug I am taking. It...
  18. laingsoft

Making Omegle Users talk to Cleverbot!

I whipped this up quickly yesterday. My python skills are improving Picture: Code: https://github.com/steamdnt/Gluebot/blob/master/gluebot.py Compiled download: https://github.com/downloads/steamdnt/Gluebot/dist.zip I didn't sanitize cleverbots inputs, so sometimes it might mess up...
  19. laingsoft

I fixed a macbook with a hair-dryer

My mother's macbook air died, because of the cost of repair, she opted to buy a new 13" model instead of the old 11" one she had before. She was going to throw this one in the garbage(seriously) so I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Anyway, the screen was glitching out, then would eventually...
  20. laingsoft

Modretro Bot

Currently, I am working on building some web scraping and spam posting bots for an extension of my epenis resume. That said, I would like to introduce Glue. Over the next little while, you may notice some awful posts that don't fit. Anyways, He isn't quite ready to be run yet, but he should be...
Back