DarkWing - PIS2 portable

Discussion in 'PlayStation 2' started by DarkWing, Dec 19, 2013.

1. DarkWing

DarkWing Member

Case Update

So after all that sand there was… more sanding.
    Did a coat of primer which revealed quite a few defects and by digging a bit some of those defect where actual air bubble from the ABS cement.
    Applied a nice layer of filler to fill those suckers.
    [​IMG]

First coat of paint was not bad although I painted it in my garage which is dusty af.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did some really fine sanding (800, 1200) to remove some of that dusty paint and did a few more layers of spray paint.

Only down side the word portable which is starting to be hard to read.
    My OCD side is a kinda trigger by it but will not touch that case anymore after all that sanding.
    I also have a small hand syndrome ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Till next time!

ttsgeb likes this.
  2. DarkWing

DarkWing Member

So I had this idea for a while which was to use the button of a PS3 controller as the main switch for the portable.
    The cool thing with that button is that it is semi-transparent so you should be a able to see a light through it.

For this I got a tack stitch which comes with a LED, cut a small piece of transparent plastic which will replace the tack switch "lid"
    [​IMG]

Because that section will also have the screen and volume control I got a few things to make a prototype board and screw post
    [​IMG]

I used the same approach for the joysticks, button and D pad
    [​IMG]

Homemade screw posts, basically nylon spacer with ABS cement.
    I went with Nylon because it’s quite easy to adjust the height with a Dremel
    [​IMG]

The different boards, I also filled the button and d-pad so that I got more contacts against the tack switches.
    [​IMG]

And finally testing the main switch LED, it worked quite well, just bright enough to notice it but not too bright that it is distracting.
    [​IMG]

It’s starting to take shape ;)

Sinnoh and ttsgeb like this.
  3. DarkWing

DarkWing Member

And I’m back…again.
    After only 1 1/2 years of hibernation I couldn’t stand looking at this empty case anymore so I ended up jumping back on this project from last week. I’ve also got a bit more regular times during the weekends now so I should be able to finish it this time, if nothing else comes in the way.

Anyway let’s go back to updating this worklog.

Case update
    [​IMG]
    After picking up the case which has been carefully stored, half hanging on top of a shelf, I found out a few marks on the front and a few bigger ones on the back.
    Had to go back on sanding both sides and painting them again. The front came out looking pretty nice, the back not so much…

I will need to go through a few more rounds of sanding / priming to hopefully get a nice looking case.

Controller update
    [​IMG]
    Now with the good news, I had some issue with my third party controller last time around so poor Kratos kept jumping left and right none stop. After spending an afternoon taking apart a brand new controller of the same model and a bit of trial and error it turned out that some of the components on the board were bridging the ground traces and by removing the joysticks the board was registering some of the direction as always on. Bridging those back and everything was back to normal.

Screen update
    [​IMG]
    Last weekend was focused on making sure that NTSC PS2 board was still alive after storing them and luckily it was, as well as the screens board too. I considered using the sync splitter board to get the H and V signals but I decided to just gear up a bit by getting a fine soldering tip along with a good LED magnifier and solder to the H and V sync lines instead to save a bit of space. I setup a small piece of a board to avoid putting too much stress on the wire. And finally I wired some connectors for both video and controller board so that the components are a bit easier to manage in the case and are easier to replace if need be.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  4. Sinnoh

Sinnoh Member

This proyect looks really nice, stay updated!