Custom PS2 Controller

BGsdS4T.jpg

So today I finished my custom ps2 controller. I personally think that the regular ones are uncomfortable (Who knows, maybe I have short thumbs) and it stops me from playing PS consoles. So instead of just getting over it like a normal person, I spent a week making this. I'm know I'm in the minority here, but I think this is way more comfortable. I took pics as I worked on it so if anybody is interested in trying one, let me know and I'll post them.

Where are those buttons from?
All of the buttons / joysticks / parts came from a Yobo brand ps2 controller. They run about $10 new at my local game store. If you like them, I believe the buttons fit in a sony brand controller without any modification, but Sony ones don't fit in yobo controllers. At least they did in the particular ones I used :)

Could have used a bit more polish but it looks good ! nice work.

I would like pics of the inside pliz :p I'm interested in seeing what method you chose to relocate the Dpad.

Could have used a bit more polish but it looks good ! nice work.

I would like pics of the inside pliz :p I'm interested in seeing what method you chose to relocate the Dpad.
I agree about the polish. I plan to do another one that will be much more efficient, because I have a couple complaints about this one. Next time, I will use an official brand controller's "brain" and solder directly to its legs using 3rd party buttons. But in this case I really just wanted to see if I liked it or not (shouldn't have taken anywhere near a week). And I like it a lot lol.

Insides:
yCIKZlu.jpg

ocAx0qc.jpg

Ignore the orange traces, they are only for rumble and I had to sand them off to get it to fit in the case.
Traces I used:
VZZrV5v.jpg

bRi6YdC.jpg

Like I said, it wasn't very efficient. Next time I will relocate all of the buttons, not just the d-pad to make it easier in the long run by saving space.

You might find that difficult. Official controllers use weird analog buttons that are probably difficult to interface to normal switches (I've never tried). If this is the case you might want to try a Dualshock 1.

Back