Noah's ZN Wii Laptop

Noah

Frequent Poster
So yeah, I've been finding myself playing Wii a lot more then I have been, and with a couple of road trips (5 hours+) coming up near the end of the summer, I figured I'd build a laptop to have something to do rather then looking out of a window.

Features:
No DD, USB Loading and possibly a WKF (Depending on how much money I have to spend)
7" or bigger screen (Depends on the case)
Batteries rated around 5000mAh
4GB SD card for homebrew purposes.
All GC ports for full home console functionality.

Yeah, pretty basic. Since I'm going to be USB loading, I was thinking about making a little "slot" for a removable 2.5" SATA drive so that if I ever run out of space I can just buy another one or get a bigger one and drop it in. I still need to figure out the case before anything is final, but that's pretty much what I want to do with it.

gx7Odha.jpg

Not sure if this is illegal to post or anything, but I've been ripping my Wii library and transferring it to a WBFS drive to load backups off of.
DcS0mnO.jpg

Probably going to get a case big enough so that I don't have to trim anything.

Re: Wii Laptop

Thanks guys, hope to have it finished up this week, that is if everything cooperates. I'm going to order the screen on Monday once I have the case and decide how big I want it to be.

Holy flax, I'm back after like 2 years. Yeah, found the Wii I was using for this project in my workbench drawer, figured what the Heck, might as well finish what I started. Not sure if I'll be using the same case or screen, but the Wii is still alive and kickin'. Expect more progress on this soon.

Noah said:
Holy flax, I'm back after like 2 years. Yeah, found the Wii I was using for this project in my workbench drawer, figured what the Heck, might as well finish what I started. Not sure if I'll be using the same case or screen, but the Wii is still alive and kickin'. Expect more progress on this soon.

Good timing as well. A lot of progress has been and is being accomplished on the wii. Be sure to check out the thread. Its got quite a few things you could find helpful on your project. Feel free to add anything you find along the way. I look forward to seeing your project develop.

/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13744

Also you are fortunate, as your board is a CPU-40. It is quite power efficient, and has both the least number of layers and most documentation. That board specifically is the one I have spent the most effort working on as well

Was thinking of possibly doing a laptop screen instead, but I'm sticking with the original case and screen. Might need to make a spacer for batteries on the bottom half, depends on how much room there will be once all of the ports are removed/relocated.

Anyone know of a good little audio amp with on-board volume controls? (Like the one Ashen uses, couldn't find the link though.)

If you are state side hit up a Walmart... They have this nice amp that has all the controls on it.. They are tact switch still for power and volume but they sound and are only $10. There was someone here on ModRetro who did a bit of documenting on it. I think it was blargaman who posted it but I can not recall right.

Good luck.

Noah said:
(Like the one Ashen uses, couldn't find the link though.)

Do you mean the iLuv audio amp? Since Ashen does use that amp, im not sure if it has its own controls though.

Ampz said:
Noah said:
(Like the one Ashen uses, couldn't find the link though.)

Do you mean the iLuv audio amp? Since Ashen does use that amp, im not sure if it has its own controls though.
Thanks, I found one on amazon though.

I've mounted and cemented the screen casing onto the top half. The bottom half is complete and now I'm just waiting for the paint to dry. Should be finished by tomorrow.

So I literally can't fit everything I want into the laptop. It's too small even if I trimmed the Wii. I don't really want to build a spacer, so I've ordered a ZN40 and a ZN45 for new cases.

Okay, to this thing is nearly done. I'm on a mini vacation of sorts, and I took it with me to test it out. My hinges for the back didn't arrive in time though, so it has been interesting lol.

Everything is working great, just a few small things to fix here and there. Expect a video and finished thread once I get my hinges :p

Okay, to this thing is nearly done. I'm on a mini vacation of sorts, and I took it with me to test it out. My hinges for the back didn't arrive in time though, so it has been interesting lol.

Everything is working great, just a few small things to fix here and there. Expect a video and finished thread once I get my hinges :p
Ever finish this? I'd like to see the finished product!

Back