Gamecube battery question

Discussion in 'Gamecube' started by m00k, Jul 25, 2016.

1. m00k

m00k Newb

I am planning on building a portable gamecube and am gathering the necessary components. I have a question about the power supply though.

I managed to salvage 6 samsung ICR18650-22F Li-on batteries from the power supply but they don't have protection circuits. I found a 6 slot 18650 charger and was planning on taking it apart and intergrating it into my build. I was planning on creating 3, 2 battery placed in parralel and linking those 3 in series.

I need some help, do I buy 6 battery protection circuits and what would I need to charge them.

TL;DR: I've got 6 18650 batteries without protection circuits, what do I do with them?

*edit* the batteries are 3.7v 2200mAh

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. You only need one protection circuit. Make sure it has low voltage protection built in as well. Otherwise your batteries will be damaged every time you use them.

When I was researching batteries, I was going to do it your way by building a custom pack, but I realized that between the batteries themselves, the protection circuit, the smart charger, and the hassle of wiring/ finding the right parts, it was easier and cheaper to get a rechargeable battery pack and take it apart. I ordered a talentcell 12v 6A battery pack on Amazon and am very happy with it. I pulled it apart, and it was exactly what I was going to build anyways, (6 cells with a protection circuit), except it was already wired and came with a charger made specifically for them. Additionally, it saves room in my case because my wiring probably would've been sloppy since you shouldn't solder directly onto a battery. It was a grand total of $35.

If you are really set on doing it with what you already have, there is a link at the bottom to what I was considering getting when I was researching protection circuits. This alone runs you $15-20 though, and you still need a charger and plugs/ power switch etc, so I would advise you to buy a premade battery pack and save yourself the hassle of trying to assemble your own. From what I've read, li ion batteries are pretty finicky so the less you mess with them, the better.

This is a protection circuit that has overcharge protection and discharge / low voltage protection
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OI1WEWO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_xRyMxb3NRWBDK

This is the battery pack I chose, in case you decide to go that route
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_yWIMxbQ8AT4JY

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  3. m00k

m00k Newb

Thanks mate, I ordered myself a new battery pack with a built in protection circuit and comes packaged with a charger aswell.

4. ires2953

ires2953 Member

OK so I have a question about your post, sorry this is my first attempt at a build. The link to the product you bought on amazon looks promising to me but how would I incorporate that in a build? Can I just keep it in the case it comes in or do I have to open it up and take the batteries out?

5. The battery pack I ordered came in a little black box with six screws. I took the screws out and took the batteries out of the box to incorporate into my gcp. They are all taped together with the charge circuit on top and the power switch / jack off to the side. I used it just the way it was, with them all taped together still. Leaving them in the black box is a huge waste of space and doesn't really make it any easier to work with. Also, I recommend replacing the wires that go from the protection circuit to the switch with better ones because mine were weak and broke.

TL;DR
    You can leave it in the case, but I highly recommend removing it since it is easy and saves lots of space.

6. Nazum

Nazum Member

How well did that battery pack from amazon work?
    Any good? How's the battery life?