Zelda Gamekit

Discussion in 'Software & ROM Hacks' started by LaDestitute, Jun 10, 2016.

1. LaDestitute

LaDestitute Member

(haven't been here in ages, was on a two-three year hiatus from my old project then been busy for a month with this, wanted to polish it first)
    The gamekit is made in Construct 2 r227, which is a game editor akin to Game Maker, except it primarily supports HTML5.
    Dev Livestreams (at 8 PM PST on most days)

Been working on a gamekit that plays like the oldschool 2D Zelda games, such as A Link to The Past, Minish Cap, and Four Swords. A Link to the Past is where most of the influence and design will be but I'm considering implementing gameplay mechanics from the other games, including the 3D ones.

This started on the 22th of February (2016), and progress is coming along. A bunch of basic gameplay features are implemented, along with basic a-rpg combat, some functioning items, and an inventory system. A full version (capx and all) will be released once nearly all of the gameplay mechanics are in and bugfree. Edit: Took a small break at the end of March until this May, but now back to work with this.

Scirra, for this awesome game engine that is so amazingly capable
    Nintendo, for the video game series that ahem is...a legend.
    amiltonbr, for the original base this gamekit is partially based on (although, the capx has been stripped of most of that, save for the 8d movement)
    schueppe, advice and sharing techniques with me on how to handle ARPG things
    dpyellow, for his old Zelda capx I found (it helped me integrate a few things, namely the pause menu, future shooting/passive AI and future bombs/bow/boomerang)
    R0j0hound, for his sliding against diagonal slopes example
    C-7, for an example of ledge jumping and dynamic lighting
    Magistross, for the dialog system (edited version of a paid Scirra store products, kudos Magi)

Screenshots and videos:
    Video 1 (very early build, when I first started)
    Video 2 (mid-build)
    Video 3 (build 0.6)
    Video 4 (latest 0.7)
    Dev Livestream
    Dev Livestream 2 (latest unstable build, 6/9/2016)
    Inventory screen
    Enemy stuff
    Current HUD
    Reworked textbox/dialog
    Heart containers and pieces
    Functioning lamp
    Map changing
    Dynamic lighting
    Buzzblob!

Current Features:
    *Tilemaps for mapping, with original resolution tiles (two tilemaps, one on bottom for mapping, and one on top for setting collision detections for walls, etc)
    *Eight directional movement with proper animation
    *Variables, gametext, and item configurable gamedata stored in arrays, set predefined by loaded JSON files
    *Basic pickupable overworld objects (keys, rupees, hearts, etc)
    *Signs, with proper textbox, font, letter by letter text, proper pausing and skipping
    *Pushable blocks, they move 16 tiles per push, have animations and sound, and will not move if against an obstacle
    *Switches, enough said
    *Chests, animations and sound, can be locked
    *Liftable and throwable objects (pots as example)
    *Doorway transition animations
    *Zone based camera
    *Functioning doorways into other rooms (if on a big map, such as one floor of a dungeon or Hyrule Castle)
    *Proper collision detection (solid walls, working stairs in a room, etc)
    *Heart Pieces & Heart Containers
    *Hearts and magic bar system
    *Basic patrolling pathfinding and line of sight AI (with Green scotch tape the wires (better than solder imo) as an example)
    *Basic combat (collision detection, sword swinging, etc)
    *Inventory system (moving cursor, cursor bounded to menu boundaries, sound effects, flashing cursor, and setting item to active slot)
    *Sliding against diagonal slopes
    *Jumping from ledges
    *Working bridges that can be passed under/over
    *Map-changing (such as going inside of houses)
    *Compiled tilemaps like this
    *Dynamic lighting (like in A Link to The Past's Hyrule Castle Sewers)

Planned Features (in order of priority):
    *Different enemy AIs beyond basic, including possibly Boss AI but generally passive and shooting AI (already have working examples outside of the gamekit)
    *Proper title/menu screen with save system support
    *Optional day/night system (can be disabled)
    *Gamepad support
    *Expanding gamedata jsons and eventing to include extra mechanics from other Zelda games such as Fire Arrows, Lens of Truth, and Pictobox (not a high priority)
    *Customizable drag and drop sets of compiled tilemaps/HUDs/SEs (choose between A Link To The Past, Minish Cap, Four Swords, or Ocarina of Time, not a high priority atm)

2. robm

robm Billy Mays Staff Member

As I quit being a Zelda fan after the NES games, if someone showed this to me and said "Hey this is SNES Zelda," I would say... ok.

Very nice, is your goal to be entirely a Zelda clone? Or is this kind of like your own deal that just happens to look a lot like Zelda?

3. LaDestitute

LaDestitute Member

I guess I'm attempting to almost copy the format of the Zelda III engine, but the end-result product that will be finished will be like a 'hey this is a template...make a Zelda game if you want but this is intended to be a build to utilize to create an a-rpg game that is similar to Zelda" so, end-users will have to provide their own assets and all.

4. Prog

Prog Not a Memeā„¢ Staff Member

So, like Zelda Classic but designed around ALttP?

5. LaDestitute

LaDestitute Member