The Basics of 2D CNC Machining

Downing

***Basic Outline and Will attack each section one at a time***

Introduction to Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) Milling -

CNC Machining is a remarkably accurate method of portable console and case making. Though the actual depths CNC milling can get into is extremely large, complex and daunting, breaking it down to hone in the portable making filed makes it a lot more accessible to DIY/Hobbyists and can increase the quality of ones work by leaps and bounds.

However, because CNC has some pretty high barriers to entry like cost, learning curve and general accessibility, we've decided to put these stickies into an "Advanced Modding" section so those with the means, ability and drive can have a place to start.

Below are 5 key topics that break down what one will need to know to get started and to produce a successful part using CNC. Now understand that these are methods that I've practiced myself for the past 4 years but are not necessarily the right way as far as industry standards are concerned. They work for me though and you can take it for what it is, but remember, you have to consider what is going to be right for you and how far you want to take it.

The Hardware: CNC Machines, Desktop Routers and Tooling

The Software: 2D Design, Mach3, Solidworks and File Types

Calibration and Preparing Your Files:

Table Configuration and Material Clamping:

Cutting and Removing Finished Part:

Guess I've got some updating to do! This guide was a WIP that I never quite got to. I'll try to make updates as I can on this but with the nightmares of CNC problems I've had as of late and the changes I've been forced to make to accommodate, I'll either "really" know what I'd doing or have a stroke trying to figure it out.

Back