Custom Regulators

You are missing the 100uf capacitors on the input voltage. They say its required for the output voltage too but I usually dont. The voltage set resistor on the ptr08100 is between pins 5 and 3 actually. There is a nicely done custom reg diagram pic but it has the pins on the ptr08100 wrong! I would know because I was so confused today why the regulator was outputting 11v! I checked the datasheet and I was following a false diagram. Luckily I didnt kill it.

Thanks I was making sure before I processed wiring up the caps and wires I didn't put uf caps on yet I wanted to make sure the resistors were on there right. Is it possible to power up the gc with 1 uf caps on each regulator like this?

OK I wired up the regulator to 2 different Gc 1 is a Rev C model and the other 1 is the standard one the Rev c powered one but the other 1 which is this picture of the board I had power going to but the thing is the cpu and gpu gets warm but not video or audio isn't coming out of it but on the Rev C board I had video coming from the board but the audio was distorted any suggestions what the problem might be?

You should read the voltage values coming from the regulators and check to make sure they are operating correctly. I always do this first before hooking them up to the board so I know I wont accidentally kill the board if they aren't functional. Also it goes without saying everytime you trim a board, to sand a ton on the edges so nothing is shorting.

gman said:
They say its required for the output voltage too but I usually dont.
This *could* cause problems because of all the noise introduced by switching regs, which can interfere with the high-frequency signals between chips.

ProgMetalMan said:
gman said:
They say its required for the output voltage too but I usually dont.
This *could* cause problems because of all the noise introduced by switching regs, which can interfere with the high-frequency signals between chips.
Yeah you're probably right. They are there for a reason, smooths out the output voltage to a more constant voltage. But it'll work without them so I doubt that's causing any of the issues he's having.

Back