New Atmel 328

The touch controller sounds like feature creep to me. Also aren't all of Atmel's libraries for everything else crap? Or is there a different reason that Arduinos are obscenely slow unless you use assembly?

I wouldn't say obscenely slow, but it's due to assembly just being more efficient than C/C++ in general.

ProgMetalMan said:
The touch controller sounds like feature creep to me. Also aren't all of Atmel's libraries for everything else crap? Or is there a different reason that Arduinos are obscenely slow unless you use assembly?

Compilers aren't as optimized for AVR. There's also the whole Harvard style architecture thing, which makes any sort of general purpose data operations being a massive pain in the ass.

Also why would you want a 2 I2c lines? Can't you just use one and connect up a few hundred different modules?

Also I don't really know what sort of novel use you could come up with for an AVR with a touch controller. Especially when the ESP8266 is basically taking away the arduino marker marketshare, and ARM is becoming much cheaper, and much more powerful.

Maybe for, like, interfacing between multiple existing I2C setups. Like, if I wanted to interface to the I2C controls of the main processor in my Trinitron to add RGB inputs and tell the stock co-processor to *Can'tSayThisOnTV* off with its burying such settings in the backwaters of the service menu, but also interface to an Amiga for controlling such settings.
Yeah, they're stupid features.

Back