Portable sega master system

T2Steve

ok gang, lately I've picked up a few game gears for cheap. I picked one up for $5 and replaced a few caps to restore both sound (which is still way to quiet) and picture (which is still way to blurry)

I've looked into replacing the GG screen because it is obviously horrible and while it is nice to be in colour and all, the obvious problems with it don't need to be re-stated. Replacing the screen with a TV out kit also is kind of pointless as the different resolution makes a mess of things...

and then i saw this

http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Gamer_Portable

Master system on a chip obviously. So I'm not entirely sure about the dimensions, but here is my thinking, it has a 2.4 inch screen compared to the GG's 3.5, so there should be a reasonable amount of space to re-mount everything inside the GG case. It natively has TV out, so the GG LCD can be tossed and a newer/better 3.5 put in place. From the looks of things it also converts the GG resolution to something that a regular TV/LCD can handle.

Here are the things I don't know:

1. where do they even sell these? I've not been able to find them anywhere. Also the price tends to be all over the map, as low as $30 as high as $60, and that's before shipping.
2. Has anyone pinned out the multi-game glob so that we can remove it and wire in the cartridge slot, and what compatibility issues are there?
3. has anyone fixed the audio issues?
4. does anyone have pics of the board? there is a good chance the board would have to be carved up a few times to make it fit. it would also probably need to be squashed in with parts of the original GG board still in place so that the buttons still feel right.
5. has anyone tried to extract the game glob and wire it into a SMS cart or GG cart? having a multi-cart with the following games would be neat

Alex Kidd in High Tech World
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars
Assault City
Astro Warrior
Aztec Adventure
Baku Baku Animal
Bomber Raid
Columns
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dragon Crystal
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone 2
Gain Ground
Global Defense
Golden Axe
Kung Fu Kid
The Ninja
Penguin Land
Putt and Putter
Quartet
Ristar
Snail Maze
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic Spinball
Sonic Triple Trouble
Super Columns
Tails Adventures

ran into a forum where the discussion was in re: AtGames and some of their products. It appears that this isn't a SMOAC or something similar. It uses some sort of hardware and emulates the entirety of everything, so I kind of doubt that it can be hacked to have a cart port.

Back