Finished - 3DS XL without top screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two updates:

First...

A few days ago someone on youtube told me that you can get the bottom screen working simply by attaching the cameras. But I have no idea if that's true. (EDIT: I just tried this and it didn't work. *shrug*)

Secondly...

MY SYSTEM STOPPED WORKING!! Help please!

Here's a run down of events:
- I haven't used the system in a while.
- Despite not using the system in a while, I order a new battery from Nintendo and replace the battery, and charge the system.
- Haven't used it for a week or two after that.
- I hear of a new system update that let's you change the home screen color to black. Excited over this, I turn on my system, connect to eshop, and start the download.
- A minute later I find my system is off. I check the eshop and it prompts me for an update still. (either it is a second update or the first one failed and I had to do it again)
- I turn off the system, charge it fully, then turn it on to try installing the second update. However, the screen goes dark after a few seconds.
- I power off the system then power on, the screen does not even work.
- If I squint and tilt the screen almost 90 degrees, I can see the home screen, but pressing the dpad does nothing. So it is as though the backlight is out and the screen is frozen. There are vertical bars on the screen too.
- I power off then on the system, now the screen is just black.
- I wondered if the new battery caused it. I switch back to the old battery. No luck. Still doesn't work. I try each battery twice, to no avail.

zeello said:
I am considering reattaching the top screen just to try and troubleshoot the system and get everything back to normal again. (Then once I manage to fix it I will remove the top screen.)
There is no reason not to at this point. The system is as paperweight until I do something.

Wait, so this was a fully functional 3DS XL?

I'm usually not one to say this, but why in the world would you do this then? I don't think "because you can" really applies here.

Again no offense intended, but I just don't see the point when a 2DS would accomplish this and more. You would have actually had some extra cash after selling the fully functional XL for one too.

I plugged in headphones and confirmed the system is working aside from the screen, so I purchased a replacement screen on ebay.

EDIT: I replaced the screen and it works now! Everything's back to normal and I even got the new system firmware with different colored themes!

I haven't been using this 3DS XL like at all. I'm deliberating on reattaching the top screen and selling it, but this is a one of a kind 3DS XL due to having no top screen, so it would feel like a waste to put it back to normal.

zeello said:
I haven't been using this 3DS XL like at all. I'm deliberating on reattaching the top screen and selling it, but this is a one of a kind 3DS XL due to having no top screen, so it would feel like a waste to put it back to normal.

tbh it's one of a kind because it is almost non functional.
why not just buy one with a non working top screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back