Multijoy_Retro - dust off your classic joysticks!

davenunez

I've been filling out my classic PC flight sim collection, and bemoaning how I can't use my Thrustmaster FCS and Flightstick Pro on my modern PC. Well, time to stop moaning and start building! This is the Multijoy_Retro - connect all your classic computer joysticks to your fancy new PC or Mac!

13658257335_918b314e1c.jpg

13658604254_725da3e986.jpg

You connect one or two classic controllers (15 pin PC or 9 pin Commodore), and get either Joystick, Keyboard or Mouse commands out to your modern machine. The magic is done by a Teensy++ 2.0 (a 16MHz AT90USB1286).

Full details in this post: http://davenunez.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/creating-the-multijoy_retro/

There's switches and buttons and lights and ports and acrylic and this is just fantastic in every way.
You've become one of my favorite modders, you realize that, right?

Fantastic project. I could see myself building something like that some day.

On an unrelated note, I saw your picture of your joystick collection and recognized the one I had when I was younger. Could you tell me what the name of it is? This one:
mystery%20stick.jpg

It wasn't anything special, but it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. I might want to try to track one down.

Thanks all! It's a nice project to do, but get ready to code.

Kyosho - that is a CH Product Flightstick. It's the budget version of the better known Flightstick Pro (which has a swollen head with four buttons and a hat switch). It's a really good quality stick, and you can find the on ebay for about $20.

You sure have a lot of flight sticks/HOTAS/Yokes. Have you jumped on the Star Citizen bandwagon yet?

Also, I approve of this project.

Awesome, thanks. Oh, the hours spent playing Descent with that joystick. And later, the PC version of Road Rash (based on the awesome 3DO version). There's something awesome about playing a motocycle game with a big joystick as opposed to a small analog stick or a d-pad. On a motorcycle, you move left and right by leaning. So leaning the joystick just feels right. Anyways, now I need to build (or buy) a serial converter. Heh. Eventually.

I kind of just want to invade your house and try out all your peripherals.