Portable Gaming PC (PGPC) - Disassembly UPDATE 2/23/13 pg.3

Re: Portable Gaming PC (PGPC) - pics & video

Hi, I'm relatively new to this website, but I've always had a slight interest in making my own portable/handheld gaming units. It's been one of those things where I've told myself that "oh, I'm sure I'll get around to making one of those... someday". Seeing your handheld touchscreen PC finally pushed me over the edge and I've decided that I want to make my first build something similar to your setup based on one of the new AMD fusion mini ITX boards housed in a vacuum molded plastic case. I'm pretty sure I can figure everything else out, but the power supply issues have thrown me for a loop. I'd like to make my unit battery powered (maybe I should also start lifting weights at this point to prepare myself :lol: ) and I see that even though you decided not to use batteries in the end, you designed the unit with battery power in mind. I'd like to ask how you integrated your battery/charging setup with your mobo's power interface? Pics would be awesome but aren't really needed, I'd just like to know if you fed a computer PSU via your battery/charging setup or if you did a custom job to get all the connections/voltages needed.

I'd also like to give my praise for an awesome concept/design/execution. I've always looked upon tablet PCs with disdain, they just seem useless to me. If I want to do any real work, I have both a desktop and a laptop that would be better suited for that. If I just wanted something portable to browse the web or watch videos on then I'll just pull out my cell phone. A handheld touchscreen device that has a built in gamepad on the other hand? That's pretty neat, but it's been done before by Nintendo already. But wait, now you're telling me that it can also play all of my emulators and PC games, browse the web, play movies, and can be connected to a home theater setup with a couple of cables and serve as an HTPC? Pure, distilled, genius. My hat's off to you sir.

EDIT: after lurking more I found where you linked to mini-box.com for your PSU, nice! I was looking for something EXACTLY like that.

Hey man, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you found the link to get a PSU. You should make a thread in the Computer/Laptop section about your project. I'd love to keep track of it that way. And we can hopefully provide any input you might need. I really enjoy reading about this kind of stuff.

And maybe, just maybe, you'll give Sam the poke he needs to finish his PCp as well!

Love it Kyosho! Excellent execution of a great idea!
I've had visions of one of these for a few years now, just haven't found a completely acceptable way for me to see it through. I do have a Sony Vaio UX 380N that I've considered setting up as a gaming handheld, but I'm still not sure if I want to completely dismantle it, or just create an external type housing that the UX could just slide into that had all of the gaming controls integrated. An ideal solution would be a pico itx board with an AMD fusion setup. Hope we see those soon!

Kyosho said:
And maybe, just maybe, you'll give Sam the poke he needs to finish his PCp as well!
Yeah, maybe. I'm still working on it, just not particularly diligently.
Narik said:
An ideal solution would be a pico itx board with an AMD fusion setup. Hope we see those soon!
Thats basically impossible. Ive scrounged the interwebs, and only one company supposedly makes a pico itx fusion board, but all of their documentation is stamped, "preliminary" and they wont even talk to you unless you are going to buy at least 1000 units. If you want though, here is the link.

About the smallest that can actually be got are the Nano Itx (5x5") boards from Aleutia or alibaba.

Thanks, Narik. I looked up that Vaio and it's pretty sweet. I think the idea of the external controller housing is the best option. Especially if you design it around having the keyboard open when it's in the housing. That way you have access to all those keys/buttons. Putting it into a completely new housing would be cool as well, but way more work. Still, either thing would be a fun project.

Also, here's hoping, Sam.

With Skyrim looming, I need a better PC than my current desktop. But I can't afford to buy parts and build a new one. Which means...

Re: Portable Gaming PC (PGPC) - Disassembly on page 3

Awesome internals! I know what you mean about soldering to a PC mobo. I would have though... Anyway, Great job with it!

- mymixed

If it were any standard motherboard it wouldn't be quite as much of a big deal. But that one was $170 or so (can't remember exactly). It was basically the one and only time I would have the money to do it. I'm a bit poor, generally speaking. Heh.

Yet another double post from me. Feel a bit silly bumping this again. But, it's been a while, and it's time to make use of this big blue beast. And so, we have this long extremely long rambling video. Sorry about the quality.

Back