How can I make my video signals blurry? (yes really)

Kyosho

NOT KYO
Wasn't sure where to post this. I think this section makes more sense than others, but, eh, the mods can move it if they feel it fits better elsewhere.

Right, so, to explain. I have a 40" 1080p television (inherited from my late mother). New game systems, and PC games, at these higher resolutions are great. But a 480i or 480p signal stretched that big looks terrible. Well, okay, not terrible, just full of extremely noticeable aliasing/jaggies.

I'm currently experiencing this with the Wii, and it'll be the same for other older systems as well. I think with the Wii, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that there can be objects and characters with fairly high polygon counts. More distinct bits that are actually rendered, rather than "painted on" with a texture, like would be done with say, N64 or PS1 games. Which means, there's more visible jaggies due to there being a lot more edges. That isn't to say that those older games escape these issues. No, in some cases, I imagine there's even worse problems (some only display at 240p, for instance).

I have my Wii running on component cables, to get the best picture possible. In some ways, this makes the problem worse, because things are more defined. There's less color bleed than with composite. However, using composite doesn't help. It just makes everything in general look worse, and doesn't help with the jaggies enough to warrant using. I tried 480i rather than 480p (in component) thinking maybe the interlacing would help. But it either did nothing, or actually made things slightly worse. The only thing I've found to help, is turning my tv's sharpness down to its lowest setting. It works! In fact, in Fragile Dreams (the game I'm using for testing, because the main character is aliased to Heck), the text in the menus is actually more readable. Pretty sure the game was designed to run on CRT televisions. Which is weird. But yes, it helps. But it isn't enough.

Are there any components I can put on the video lines to cause blurriness or lack of sharpness? I know it's common to put capacitors on lines to help with brightness, and other things. I just don't know enough in this area. I've tried googling, but it's a bit hard to search for. Can't seem to find people who actually want things MORE blurry. Heh. I'm going to look at some A/V forums for videophile people. I'm sure some of them are gamers and are obsessed enough to have figured something out by now. Who knows. But yeah, once again, it's hard to find the proper search results...

Whoa hey some one responded! Yeah, I might try something like that eventually. However, I found a more interesting (though expensive) solution. The SLG3000 aka the scanline generator. I haven't gotten one yet, but I hope to eventually. There's a lot of youtube videos about it. It creates a fantastic picture, especially for older games that were designed around the fact that scanlines existed in all screens at the time.

What tv do you have? I'm thinking it could be that the scaling engine (I think its called that) could be crappy, and when it upscales the 480p/i signals you're giving it, it looks crappy then. I've heard of devices to upscale video to 1080p for stuff like this.
Idk if this any, lol.

You could build a low pass filter on the luma line. That would just be a resistor followed by a capacitor to ground and you'd have to play with how strong the values are. Probably the easiest "blur" method is just to buy a range of inductors. On my rgb / s-video av famicom I installed a 5-6 uh inductor on the s-video line and it really helped clean up the video ringing I was getting. I just bought a whole range of inductor strengths from some guy on ebay and that was a great purchase.

The Wii is actually one of the SD consoles that looks the best on an HDTV, so if it looks bad on your HDTV, be prepared for much worse (*cough* PS2 *cough*).

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but the best and easiest solution is just to have a nice quality CRT for your SD games. They give them away for free on Craigslist all the time, so unless you absolutely have no space, I'd recommend just getting one.

Zero said:
The Wii is actually one of the SD consoles that looks the best on an HDTV, so if it looks bad on your HDTV, be prepared for much worse (*cough* PS2 *cough*).

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but the best and easiest solution is just to have a nice quality CRT for your SD games. They give them away for free on Craigslist all the time, so unless you absolutely have no space, I'd recommend just getting one.
Nah, this is Mod Retro. Why settle for massive CRT when this is the perfect excuse for an awesome project that others may wish to emulate in the future?

Back