What's everyone up to now?

Discussion in 'Forum 47' started by ToastBucket, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ToastBucket

ToastBucket tost

Heyo its been a solid number of years since I've posted anything here. I check back in every now and then and its nice to see that there's still some people posting and doing stuff. It got me real curious of what the OG Modretro crew is up to these days! Obviously we all know what Palmer and Mario and Beta and them have all been up to but what about the rest of you?

Personally, I just graduated from UC Santa Cruz with degrees in Networking and Electrical Engineering and I'll be going back in a few months to start a Computer Engineering masters. Also been working with a company in CA for the past few years writing firmware and helping with embedded hardware design for wireless sensor systems.

2. laingsoft

laingsoft Formerly SteamDNT

I'm going back to school to finish off my last year of a Bsc in CS. Currently I'm working for a company researching water filters, but I'm aiming to do a masters in either chemistry, bioinformatics, or pure CS.

3. ToastBucket

ToastBucket tost

what's a Bsc and how did CS get so dang puuuuuuure

4. laingsoft

Bachelor of Science. When I say pure CS, I mean if I'm choosing a master's program and I decided to go with a supervisor from the CS department, it would probably be in something to do with solving games or puzzles. Doesn't get much more pure than that. My uni has fairly decent faculty that do bioinformatics and chemoinformatics. I would prefer to do either of those, but if those opportunities fall through, there is an absolutely massive group that is working on finding optimal solutions for chess and poker, I'd probably aim to see if I could get one of those guys to be my supervisor.

5. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

I mostly don't fix problems that pop up on ModRetro and stare at youtube instead of actually accomplishing anything with my life.
    It's great.

6. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

I became a failure

[​IMG]

Fiskers1208 likes this.
  7. Blargaman91

Blargaman91 Well-Known Member

I started messing with GameCubes when I joined here 5 or 6 years ago and it led me to a lot of new hobbies. I was only in 7th grade back then, now I'm graduating high school, so it feels like ages ago. I don't think I'm "OG" but I remember following the evolution of GC mods and it's a little sad that it's died down since then.

8. Joeyjoe9876

Joeyjoe9876 Frequent Poster

I own/operate a VR lounge of sorts using HTC Vives now, going on our 1 year on the 24th.
    Friend wants to build a portable smash machine so I'm pretty sure I'll be working on a wii laptop here soon, also have n64p plans in the works

9. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

It's easier to just say "fleshlight"

ToastBucket, Joeyjoe9876 and Prog like this.
  10. MasterNate

MasterNate Member

Ewwww. Wii laptop. It is easier and looks so much better to make a landscape orientated portable.

11. laingsoft

That's *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing disgusting.

You're a rangers fan.

12. Prog

>1972 expansion team

Top kek

13. Joeyjoe9876

Joeyjoe9876 Frequent Poster

Pretty similar

14. Hermaphroditus

Hermaphroditus Well-Known Member

BSEE, now an electrical engineer working on medical electronics for a small company. Been considering grad school but dat crippling student loan debt tho.

ttsgeb likes this.
  15. Prog

I seem to recall something about cutting through bone, Herma?

16. Hermaphroditus

Hermaphroditus Well-Known Member

There's a bone biopsy device, yeah. We have oscillating needle technologies for reduction of force, also one transdermal drug delivery system. I'm assuming it's fair game to talk about since you can literally Google the company's SBIR grants, but the project I'm currently working on the most involves photoacoustics and tumor edge identification.

There are other things, but confidentiality and the like.

17. Kickback

Kickback Teen Idle Staff Member

I walk around a factory and look at machines and go "yeah that seems to be running okay" some days.

Some other days I strip dead skin and hair off peoples body parts.

18. wallydawg

wallydawg Active Member

I met herma in Wisconsin that one time, that's about it.

ttsgeb likes this.
  19. Sonic4freedom

Sonic4freedom The True Blue Hedgehog

I'm still in the Navy (Nuclear Engineer). I lurk around every now and then and drop a tear when I remember my BH days and early ModRetro Days (Back when we had SS, Bacman and Hailrazer). After the Navy, I plan on going to school for CS. i still make Portable Dreamcasts and N64's (One of them got left behind when I deployed to the Middle East in 2016. I think its still there). I did recently build a new gaming rig.

Fiskers1208 likes this.
  20. grossaffe

grossaffe President Groosevelt Staff Member

I've been mostly getting paid to walk into a building and stare at a computer screen pretending I have work to do.