Post your PC Specs!

Discussion in 'Computer/Laptop' started by desmin88, Oct 5, 2010.

1. The_Next_Guy

The_Next_Guy Active Member

Well I mean of course you don't use a chromebook all by itself. Crouton is definitely a must.

2. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

Eh, I'd sooner do a clean wipe and install *nix proper, since crouton has more overhead than those poor machines really need. Overall though, I'm just salty that I can't have a chromebook pixel 2 with an OS I can use. It's basically the perfect size of machine, and feels amazing and all that, but windows is a no-go entirely, for all intents and purposes, and I need windows for work. Also 64gb of storage on a $1k+ machine is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing absurd.

3. The_Next_Guy

The_Next_Guy Active Member

I've stopped using windows actively for a while now, windows 8 broke my trust when i was unable to play AOE I & II. But then I heard about Ubuntu. So I started looking into it. Once I found out about WINE, I was happy with my Doritos playing AOE.

4. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

Unfortunately, WINE is rather useless for the likes of Beckhoff Twincat, DS Solidworks, and suchlike, which I use for work (along with a handful of other manufacturer specific utilities that sure ain't available for anything but windows). And, given the absurdly low storage and lack of drivers for much of the ports and such on the Pixel, even running a windows VM wouldn't be an option.

Not to mention, most *nix performs like ass compared to windows these days, in terms of basic desktop functionality and such. Back in the vista days, *nix was faster, but *nix has been getting slower, and windows faster, and they crossed over at some point.

It's a shame, because the Pixel 2 is basically exactly what I want from a hardware perspective, though I'd really like more graphics perf.

5. grossaffe

grossaffe President Groosevelt Staff Member

Burn the heretical witch at the stake!

6. Kickback

Kickback Teen Idle Staff Member

Fanboyism in general is lame but i'd buy a Macbook ever long before I buy a Chromebook.

7. Prog

Prog Not a Memeā„¢ Staff Member

Guys, I know nothing about CRT monitors past 15khz. Is it worth looking into stealing one of these from my physics teacher?
    They're being wasted in that room on some of the worst remaining Optiplex (IIRC) mini towers in my school running slow-ass old versions of Ubuntu with Unity cancer and XP for a couple of specific programs that don't play well with Wine. And he runs them at 60hz, although that does have the benefit of scaring off those not autistic enough to build a tolerance.

8. Fluxedo

Fluxedo Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had a few CRT monitors in the past year or so mostly for use with my Wii to VGA cables but I also had my PC hooked up to it. I really like it. Colors are awesome and response time is great. 5/7

9. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

High end CRTs were lovely for their time. But I, for one, am never going back. High refresh IPS is the present, high refresh OLED is the near future, and VR/AR flax is the real future.

That said, absolutely prog, steal one. Heck, steal ten. In fact, steal everything you see, anything you're interested in, anything you want. Nothing could possibly go wrong, I promise.

10. laingsoft

laingsoft Formerly SteamDNT

Kek. The day plim plam figures out how to make text not look like garbage through a VR headset + Not require me to have $5k worth of desktop PC, I'll drive to long beach and give personally buy a rift.

Also, Back on topic:

CPU - Core i7 5500U
    Ram - 12GB DDR3
    GPU - Nvidia 940M/Intel HD
    HDD - 200GB SS + 300GB Hybrid

11. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

So that's gotta be an Asus UX303LB, right? How are the hinges holding up?

As for VR/AR, certainly current solutions aren't going to up and replace HDTVs and monitors and flax in one generation, but give it a few years, and it genuinely does have the potential to replace everything else. Heck, we're already seeing displays on the market with ~2x the pixel density of those in the Rift CV1 (Xperia Z5 Premium, ~867ppi or some ridiculous flax like that - granted it's IPS and not OLED, so it's not directly comparable, but still). Give it another couple years, as well as assume commensurate improvements in the lensing and processing, and text won't be an issue Dang soon.

12. laingsoft

laingsoft Formerly SteamDNT

Yeah, it is a UX303.

Hinges are fine. The only part of the laptop I'd change is the stupid thin power plug. It's 2016, there's no reason to not have safe disconnects, and I've already gone through one adapter.

13. Pentium -MMX 166 MHz
    64 MB RAM
    ALiCat M3147V 2MB PCI VGA card
    Avance Logic ALS100 ISA Audio Driver
    Creative 24x CDROM Drive
    6 GB Hard drive

ttsgeb likes this.
  14. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

Oh man, that's an impressive rig. Everything is crazy bleeding edge. I shudder to think what that would have cost when it was new.

15. Kickback

Kickback Teen Idle Staff Member

Ha, my very first PC (well, my dads, but I lived with him because i'm his son?) had a Pentium MMX @ 166mhz. Played Half-Life and Unreal very nicely. Something like 32MB of RAM? later upgraded to 64MB because certain games required it?

We stuck a 3D Accelerator in it because I got Might & Magic VII and the processor was nowhere near powerful enough to handle the software 3D (even though the game looks nowhere near as impressive as the aforementioned ones, which ran just fine in software), sadly I forgot what card it is. I imagine given the time period it would of been a RIVA TNT2 of some kind. I'm sure someone will tell me that Half-Life stands zero chance of running on an MMX 166mhz but it was 20 years ago so i'm probably off by a bit.

On-topic? That MMX is nowhere near as good as my 4790k with 16GB of RAM and a GTX970 though.