My first (and bad) portable GameCube

Discussion in 'Finished Projects' started by DefaultLik, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DefaultLik

DefaultLik Member

**Edit**
    It's so bad, I want to make another one, but I don't have a second WiiKeys or WASPs laying around and a WODE is big and expensive D: Does anyone know where to find one? I want some redundancy incase i fry/kill my only WASP.

I will at some point build a WiiPortable but i still have some cubes left on which I want to test my dremmel skills xD

BTW. I killed the Battery... pics at some point in the futscha

I haven't got many good Pic's of my darling GameCube, but if there are any interested People, I might unscrew it, open her up and take some Pic's for said person :)

More Pics coming at some point.
    http://img02.deviantart.net/4983/i/2017/053/7/0/v1_by_defaultportable-db0062d.jpg
    [​IMG]

Some Parts unasembled
    http://img10.deviantart.net/18ed/i/2017/053/1/7/lessmessymess_by_defaultportable-db006so.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. lyberty5

lyberty5 Well-Known Member

Looks good, nice 3d printed case.

It's sad you can't find another wikey. Maybe reuse the parts of this GC to try trimming and such.
    Or look to the Wii...

Good work nonetheless !

Also, what are those digit things for? Battery info?

3. DefaultLik

DefaultLik Member

Abuse a portable Wii as portable Gamecube... sounds good but difficult. Thanks anyway :)

The issue is not how it looks, its rather how it plays and how the external components function (Battery, Controller, SD Gecko):
    I forgot to design the proper structure to put my controlls in, so playing on it is not a nice experience.
    The battery is not working porperly (they all (3 3.7V cells) start at about 3,7 V and now one of them is at 3.2, 3,4 and 3,7 or so. And there is no charging curcuit or pretection circuit inside xD
    And I cant turn off the Player 1 on the Cube, so I cannot add an external P1 Controller, though 2-4 will work fine with my 'custom made' (just the PCB with some wires and an D-Sub adapter).
    And a selfmade SD gecko for a Micro SD card that feels like it could fall apart right away. And I cant have the SD Gecko and an external Memory Card in at the same time.
    Also i have no surface finish on it so you can see the path the 3D printer took. And the size/weight is meh...

Yes that is an overdischarge circuit that i can turn on and off. But every time i turn it on it beeps like a fire alarm xD
    (LiPo alarm. Something like this http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/361411078227?lpid=106&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true)
    It cicles through telling you the Voltage of each cell and of all of them togherter.

Oh i just realised you dont even need a chip for a portable Wii right?

EDIT

Also the case is flat on the bottom and the cooler is on the bottom which was a bad idea in hindsight

BUT you can add an AV Kable to play it on a TV :D and you can use the original Power cable

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. Ezkid123

Ezkid123 Member

For sale will buy for 450+

5. Ezkid123

Ezkid123 Member

Can I buy it from u

6. Ezkid123

Ezkid123 Member

So can I buy it

7. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

He didn't make it.
    MYOB. That is relevant tangentially at best, and I'm still not even sure that it's correct.

8. Prog

9. Prog

Apologies, between your quote block and the other guy posting the same *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing thing everywhere I thought this was a different thread.

10. wolborg

wolborg Well-Known Member

I like it. Especially the little screen whatever it does.

11. Prog

Holy crap it's wolborg

wolborg likes this.
  12. DefaultLik

DefaultLik Member

Ups. Haven't been here for a while.

Like Fiskers1208 said, I will not sell it, because I will do another GCp and I'll need some old parts like the WASP and the adapter for the FFC cable. I don't need the 3D printed case, but I can't imagine that someone would want it.

I haven't found a good way to monitor the Charge of the Battery, so I just used a LiPo alarm. It displays the Voltage of each Cell one after another.

13. Prog

Remember this thread? He's aware of the alternatives.

14. DefaultLik

DefaultLik Member

hahaha there are too many threads to remember every post. I changed my initial post. I will make a WiiP, but I want to use the GameCubes I have left to make a better and smaller GCp. Prog gave me the idea to maybe even make a DIY WASP Fusion, but I have a lack of time, ressoures and skill/knowledge...

15. DefaultLik

DefaultLik Member

my idea is to clone all the parts on the wasp, which might not be easy. I think it was possible to flash the WASP with binarys from a SD card if the firmware on the WASP is bad or if it wont boot or something. maybe we can use that to flash a new FPGA from the fabric

16. Prog

Firmware and the programming on an FPGA are two very different things. Firmware is software; FPGA programming is basically hardware.