wiring vga on nintendo wii

Discussion in 'Wii' started by Fiskers1208, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Fiskers1208

Fiskers1208 Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  2. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

lmao no

3. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

That's not how component and VGA work at all. You'll need something like GCVideo to get VGA working on the Wii.

4. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

Nope it does

5. Shank

Shank Formerly Known As Dyxlesci

Nope, its not that it "doesnt work on the wii," it requires modification to work on the wii, and nobody stocks a wii ready board as of writing this post.

6. Aurelio

Aurelio Active Member

The needed modifications are not public yet, but with basic skills of FPGAs anyone could do them

7. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

Why wouldn't that work? The listing sounded like it was converting from YPbPr to RGBHV or at least RGBC, which are both useful for Dalian.

8. Blargaman91

Blargaman91 Well-Known Member

It's just an adapter. It's only good for a device that accepts YPbPr through a VGA connector, which Dalian screens do not.

9. Prog

Ah.

Well, one *should* be able to convert them fairly easily with passive components and maybe op amps. Probably need some diodes in there too. But if one's asking then it's probably out of their scope.

10. Shank

@Fiskers1208 Some screens that accept component use the same pins as vga, since they are electrical similar, and it reduces cost because they do not have to have 2 ports. A similar example would be how some modern tvs have composite and Y (of ypbpr) use the same plug. This adapter has no electrical components, and just connects the pins of Pr to R, Y to G, and Pb to B. Using this would be the same as soldering your component wires to a vga port.

11. Shank

1: This is not the topic
    2: its specifically stated in the files I released, the ones you bugged me several times to release.
    3: I already told you that your laser wont work, and even fi it did, you need a sealed cutter because ABS emits small amounts of cyanide gas, which is dangerous unless your laser is sealed and has an exhaust system. You also probably need a CO2 laser so it doesn't burst into flames

I highly recommend you or anyone else not trying to laser cut a case unless you are very experienced with a laser to begin with, especially ABS because of how hard it is to work with with a laser.

12. Prog

The Dalian displays accept electrical signals that directly correlate to the level of red, green, and blue on the screen. YPbPr, used in component cables, is a separate standard: the Y wire has an electrical signal that correlates to a black and white signal. This is created by mixing approximately 30% of the red signal, 60% of the green signal, and 10% of the blue signal. The Pb wire has an electrical signal that correlates to how much brighter the blue signal should be than the Y signal. Pr is the same, with red. Using analog electric math, you can use these results to determine how strong red, green, and blue should be on the screen.

This is from the early days of color TV. Composite carries the equivalent of Y, plus a low-resolution radio-encoded PbPr signal. This way, color TV broadcasts would play on monochromatic TVs, and they wouldn't need to reassign TV channels to account for additional bandwith for excessive color information. While Europe had SCART, America (and Japan, IIRC) never had standard ports for carrying RGB until the days of VGA, which is almost always used for 480p60 or higher resolutions. The best we got was component with YPbPr, which is theoretically just as good. For this reason, the Wii doesn't put out RGB on its own, only YPbPr.

13. Prog

You could find a proper YPbPr/RGB adapter. Probably better off with the GCVideo though, for reasons of space, power, simplicity (assuming you can install it), and image quality.

14. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

Yes you can

15. redleader97

redleader97 Member

If you have to ask, it is safe to assume you do not possess those skills...

Ryan M., Shank and Blargaman91 like this.
  16. Shank

NO
    You have asked on several times on several occasions, and always get the same answer. The answer is no. Use a bigger screen with native component, wait for a public GC video solution to be released, or stick to composite. Yes, an adapter could work, but, as of writing this, no non-terrible one is known to exist thats logical for portables. Don't go making threads asking which ones we think will work or which we have tested, because its a safe assumption they won't work.
    Yes you can. Related note, I discussed this with you in private, but I guess I have to say it publicly: You don't know what you are talking about at all. Stop trying to teach and correct people.
    Have you ever even tried before posting? Even once?

Diminuendo likes this.
  17. Prog

[​IMG]

Do you honestly think that nobody would have mentioned that by now, given how like 5 members, among a myriad of other technical insight, have discussed the GCVideo?

18. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

You can't buy GCVideo anywhere. You can use it on the Wii as long as it's flashed with a closed source firmware edit to make it work with the Wii. Complaining and begging for the release won't help either.

How 2 use GCVidja on Wee:

Step 1: Don't be an idiot

You already messed it up. Darn.

I sure as Heck know you wouldn't be able to wire it up either way so stop asking and use composite.

19. The_Next_Guy

The_Next_Guy Active Member

Fiskers, my fa... *Can'tSayThisOnTV* dude, ya that's for Gamecube, and like Noah said the Wii firmware is closed source.

20. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

No, you're an idiot.

If you've been within a light-year of the realm of console modding for the last year you'd know that he hasn't shipped one GCVideo out yet and he's working on a plug'n play solution.

You cannot buy GCVideo anywhere with the exception of digital which won't work for you.