Show us your desktop!

Discussion in 'Forum 47' started by Twilight Wolf, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

They should just make a browser add on that's a word filter so that the burden is on the person scared of the big evil words, rather than the websites hosting them.

2. grossaffe

grossaffe President Groosevelt Staff Member

3. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

We can disable the filter? I thought we lost that feature when we upgraded.

4. grossaffe

Iunno, ask geb. I always left the filter on so I could see when people were circumventing it.

5. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

Nah, we can disable it. I yelled at geb till he fixed it so I can see my sweet sweet profanity.

ttsgeb likes this.
  6. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

You can disable it, but it's still super funny about everything when you do.

7. Prog

I remember when I set a filter on BitBuilt that changed "the" to "cum dumpster."
    We should do that here.

8. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

Psh, copier

9. Prog

UPDATE: I am currently incapacitating my machine to compile a fork of BSD that includes Linux drivers for my graphics adapter or something

10. grossaffe

Does it count as BSD if it's been poisoned with the GNU license?

11. Prog

It's already poisoned with proprietary software so why the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* not?

12. grossaffe

proprietary software, sure, but not compiled into the kernel.

13. Prog

I'm no expert on OS structure yet, but I don't think that I compiled the whole kernel, only certain parts of the branch that included the i915 drivers from Linux.

14. laingsoft

laingsoft Formerly SteamDNT

>poisoned with the GNU license

capitalist plz get out

15. grossaffe

haha, i used the term because of its recursive nature.

Granted, there have been times I've avoided linking a GNU library into a project so as to retain choice of whether or not to open-source.

16. laingsoft

GNU licenses only require that the host code is licensed with a GNU compatible license. As long as the BSD license has had the advertising clause removed, it's still GNU.

17. laingsoft

Also in addition, Why wouldn't you want to license your code with a GNU license? All it specifies is that if the software is sold, it needs to be distributed with the source, and the source should be allowed to be modified. You can still charge for the software, and you can still get revenue from it.

Honestly the only issue that you can have is that someone smarter than you will fork the code and add more features, but even then, by license they are legally required to publish it under GNU, so you can backport to your version. There really isn't any negatives to it.

18. grossaffe

Which is then GNU rather than BSD.
    While I would have the capability of selling my work with the GNU license, it would also be out there for people to just take. Look at CentOS, for example. RedHat sells a Linux distribution, and because they're forced to open-source all their stuff, you've got CentOS come out which is a Red Hat you don't have to pay for.

And then there's also the issue that if my software had a GNU license, then anything that used it would also be IGNOREen to that license, so even if people did want to pay to me for it, they'd be stuck with their own software being forced into a GNU license.

I'm not against the concept of opening my source code up, but if I do it, it'll be because I want to and it'll be on my terms.

19. Prog

[​IMG]

Suck on that, MicroShaft

Now if only ASUS would make drivers for my touchpad that don't rely on the (more) botnet OS
    Not like they worked well anyway

20. Prog

[​IMG]
    *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing finally
    It's beautiful