Show us your desktop!

I forgot color palette and fonts, office 2002, and the fact that I extracted the icons for Opera and ThunderBird from ancient versions. The mouse cursor is classic, shadowless, and has "precision" disabled.
I should disable cleartype.

JWPuBtP.png

Finally replaced the stock background with this.

IRKmZx2.jpg

Image is scaled: it's actually two 1080p side by side. The left side is my monitor, which is my primary display. The right side is the laptop display. They are not the same size in real life.

nice post #666 on this thread
The one from which the previous screenshots come from isn't that dated tbh. And this one has problems relating to Windows 10 still.

I'm gonna stick with imagining the other one is a potato. As for W10 issues, what, pray tell? I only have G73s and a G74, which is of course not representative of the whole ROG line, but they all took 10 like a champ, and the 10 installer replaced the synaptics driver so the touchpads actually became usable.

I'm just gonna paste the post I wrote in r/TechSupport

When Windows 10 rolled out, I upgraded to it on my Dell XPS 8700. (Core i5 4???, 8GB RAM, GT720 1GB). It had some bugs, but the worst ones were one involving random freezing and one in which, if the computer put the display into power saving mode or went to sleep on its own, it would refuse to wake it up. I reinstalled Windows 7 after a month- it needed a clean install anyway. A year later, around the anniversary update, I bought an ASUS ROG GL552 laptop (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 2GB GTX660M) preloaded with Windows 10 (though curiously with a C:\Windows.old on the image). Fewer bugs here, some issues with system programs using full resources but I ironed them out. However, the issue persisted. If I put the computer to sleep manually, I could wake it up fine. If I closed the lid or left it be until the screen turned off and/or it went to sleep, the computer would not reawaken. The only solution was a workaround that wasted both time and battery; it would hibernate on lid close, or else leave the screen on indefinitely. Some have stated it's a bug with NVidia drivers/firmware/hardware. However, I was writing a paper on a library computer (Optiplex 9020: i7 4790, 16GB RAM, R5 240) got up for a minute, and returned to find the displays in power saving mode. Only the secondary would awaken; the primary just got a black screen until I forced a restart. Can I at least fix this on my own computer? There are numerous accounts of this happening across several makes of computer, but Microsoft will barely even acknowledge the problem.

Z67nUbu.png

Since my school switched to IPTV, I figured that instead of dropping $50 on a Roku stick I might as well make my Vizio VX20L (one of those terribad 20" LCD HDTVs circa 2007) a secondary monitor.

LAhECpq.jpg

Hopefully this is my last update until I switch to FreeBSD, which will happen when they properly support current Intel Graphics.

Because it's not enough for me to do something. I have to find the most arrogant way to do it.
Soon after I started drinking coffee, I started grinding and pressing it myself. Now that I'm fed up with several aspects of my Windows situation, using Linux would be way too mainstream.
Plus, I like the design principles, politics, history, and efficiency associated with BSD.

Because it's not enough for me to do something. I have to find the most arrogant way to do it.
Soon after I started drinking coffee, I started grinding and pressing it myself. Now that I'm fed up with several aspects of my Windows situation, using Linux would be way too mainstream.
Plus, I like the design principles, politics, history, and efficiency associated with BSD.
you could always Gentoo :)

Nah, I don't need to incapacitate my machine to compile its OS. Plus to Heck with GNU and Torvalds.

Nah, I don't need to incapacitate my machine to compile its OS. Plus to Heck with GNU and Torvalds.
Aww, I like Torvalds' abrasive nature. His verbal/written smackdowns are workings of vengeful art. As someone who worked in an office with a bunch of C++ elitists, it was wonderful to be able to point to a Torvalds rant ripping them a new one.

We censor hedoublehockeystick but not asshole
nice
We do not censor hockey sticks :banstick:
Barely related note, I just went to a Comic Con today decked out in my Casey Jones costume wielding a hockey stick. Fun times.

Why did I even copy over the word filter? Are the jokes really worth keeping it around for?

Why did I even copy over the word filter? Are the jokes really worth keeping it around for?
It's mostly so that people can choose to live in a sheltered internet if they so choose. And then I get to scold noobs who circumvent the filter rather than just *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing cursing and disabling the filter.

edit: actually, I feel like the initial purpose was so instead of seeing cursing, the bots that look around to decide on advertisements would see hobby-related words instead of the curse words.

Last edited:
Back